General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

95 Saturn SL - OVERHEATING!!!

Old 10-22-2012, 11:19 PM
Default 95 Saturn SL - OVERHEATING!!!

I own a 1995 Saturn SL that has a cooling fan problem. So when ever i drive up a hill or on the freeway it gets to really high tempatures and wants to over heat.

Okay so i've basically have tried everything to fix the fan.
I replaced:
Cooling fan
Overfill Cap
Engine temp Sensor
Coolant temp sensor
Fan relay
cooling fan fuse

Even with the a/c on the fan still wont run. So i checked the voltage of the wire going to the fan and there was no power. So i took the relay off and i jumped the relay with a paper clip... IT TURNED ON!!!

But that still hasn't fixed my problem. Jumping the relay makes the fan stay on all the time(even when the car is shut-off)
So what else do i need to do to get the fan moving when its suppose too, like when i turn the a/c on and my car gets really hot?

Last edited by sw2cam; 10-23-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

This is your THIRD post on this issue.

I deleted the other two threads.

Multiple post again again and you will be banned

Old 10-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Banned

Check the following fuses in the underhood junction block --> PCM 1 and PCM B (both are 5amp).

Based on your comments, there's one other possibility ... bad PCM, but I'd wiggle the heck out of the connectors for the UHJB and the PCM first.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:50 AM

Maybe stop in the new member area and give yourself an intro.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

coolant temp sensor from GM dealer?
How high on the dash temp gauge does the reading get?
does the car ever actually overheat?
does the fan ever kick in?

Old 10-24-2012, 09:15 PM

I could be wrong but---If you are driving at highway speeds and the car overheats you may have other issues. At highway speed more air is flowing through the radiator than the fan or fans can supply themselves. The fan is effective at low speed or idle much more than highway speed. Perhaps your Saturn is different but I suspect not.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:47 PM

Your fan needs to work anytime the AC is on. You need to check to see if there is another relay that also controls the fans, usually there are two or three when you have AC, one turns on one fan when the coolant temp gets too high, and one turns on both fans when the AC is turned on. The third may also be for the AC or it may be a low/high relay.

Your symptoms however indicate the cooling system is not holding pressure. That is usually due to the cap, but it could be the coolant reservoir itself, it might have a crack or for some reason is just not allowing the cap to seal. If your not loosing coolant, then the issue has to be above the waterline.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:36 AM

This statement from your post:
Quote:
Even with the a/c on the fan still wont run. So i checked the voltage of the wire going to the fan and there was no power. So i took the relay off and i jumped the relay with a paper clip... IT TURNED ON!!!
Un-Quote:
Says the relay is not turning on.
So jumping the relay would indeed make it work, or make the fan work. Which is what you want to make work.
However it is the relay that is not working. Changing the relay did no good, so it is probably not a defective relay.
What you have not done is to verify that there are the proper voltages and signals to the relay to make it function.
You need to purchase a repair manual for your car that gives the wiring diagram for the relay thus thus the information to trouble shoot why the relay does not turn on.