General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

NEED HELP with Troubleshooting 95 SC2

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 06:38 AM
Exclamation NEED HELP with Troubleshooting 95 SC2

I have a problem that has me more than a little stumped and I'm looking to see if any of you have had this problem. I have had my SC2 since it had 50k, it now has 208K. I have a "growling" noise from the right front of the car. It started growling when turning right when car was cold and it would decrease and go away as the car warmed. I thought a PS pump at first but I figured it would growl in both left and right if it were bad, so I replaced the RF wheel bearing, growl still there, I changed the right drive axle, still there. I got sick of throwing $$ & Parts at the problem so I have kept driving it only in town to see if it got worse, it has. Now the growling seems to be there all the time (but still lessens as it gets hot) and I can now get the growling if I set parking brake turn the wheel full right put it in "D" and increase the RPM to about 1000. (car stationary). If I do the same thing with the wheel full left NOTHING.

I have changed the tranny fluid and filter religiously every 20-25k I replaced the output shaft nut at 150k.

Could this be a steering rack or something else like a motor mount

Thanks for your help!
MSgtEgress

Old 07-13-2010, 10:01 AM

Right front, isn't that where things like power steering pumps and other engine mounted thingys driven by the serpintine belt live? Not to mention stuff caused by the assorted motor mounts used to keep front wheel drive east/west engines located aprox. where they belong.
Dunno, not there but have had power steering pumps on various cars get growly at full lock. Usually engine fix it stuff in a can best removes money from wallets. I have had luck with growly power steering pumps using Lucas Power Steering additive.
For what it is worth.