General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

misfire?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 06:46 PM

Thought it was called a TACH short for TACHOMETER.Edited by: sw2cam

Old 01-14-2009, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by OceanArcher
KingQuad450 ...

I see you did plugs and wires ... hope you DID NOT</span></span> put platinum plugs in there...
whats so bad about putting platinum plugs in?.... &gt;_&gt;;

Old 01-14-2009, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by jfm567
KingQuad450 ...I see you did plugs and wires ... hope you &lt;span style="text-decoration: underline;"&gt;&lt;span style="font-weight: bold;"&gt;DID NOT&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/span&gt; put platinum plugs in there...
They damage the ignition system.

The problem is that the Bosch platinum plugs (like many other brands) actually have a minute center electrode surrounded by a ceramic insulator. (Have a look, only the tiny silver center portion is the conductive platinum) Saturn "S" series fire their plugs TWICE each four stroke cycle, once at the compression stroke, and once at the exhaust (waste spark) When it fires in the exhaust stroke, it fires "backwards" requiring that tiny center electrode to recieve spark instead of emitting it. It''s not up to the task, and misfires.Edited by: Low Saturn

Old 01-19-2009, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Low Saturn
Originally Posted by jfm567

KingQuad450 ...I see you did plugs and wires ... hope you &lt;span style="text-decoration: underline;"&gt;&lt;span style="font-weight: bold;"&gt;DID NOT&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/span&gt; put platinum plugs in there...

They damage the ignition system.

The problem is that the Bosch platinum plugs (like many other brands) actually have a minute center electrode surrounded by a ceramic insulator. (Have a look, only the tiny silver center portion is the conductive platinum) Saturn "S" series fire their plugs TWICE each four stroke cycle, once at the compression stroke, and once at the exhaust (waste spark) When it fires in the exhaust stroke, it fires "backwards" requiring that tiny center electrode to recieve spark instead of emitting it. It''''s not up to the task, and misfires.
Well, thanks for that info. I was about to invest in some for my saturn because they worked wonders when i put them on my moms ford aerostar. good thing i didnt.......