General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Issue starting 2000 LS1 with it on jack stands!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 07:26 PM
Default Issue starting 2000 LS1 with it on jack stands!

I just replaced the cv axle on the passenger side of this 2000 Saturn LS1 (automatic 2.2L) & in order to replace the transmission fluid that leaked out of it during the swap, the videos I watched said to jack the entire car up off the ground & level it then start the car, let it warm up, run thru each of the gears then remove the cap on the fluid balancer valve (on top side of the transmission pan)! Well I cannot get it to start! It needed some oil & since it had been sitting for awhile, I charged the battery! It will turn over & a couple times acted like it wanted to start but just won’t! Am I missing something? Is there a sensor in this car that won’t allow it to start while suspended in the air? I really really need this car running tonight! I have to work in the morning! Any help, insight, suggestions, etc are welcomed and appreciated!

Old 08-29-2019, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

If your battery died you may need to do a passlock reset procedure. Is your security light on or the security indicator on the dash on? If so, search passlock II relearn on Google and you will find tons of links to the procedure.

Not sure if this is the problem but it is one of the most simple possible explanations.

I will be awake for awhile if this is not the issue so post back one way or the other and I will check.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:53 AM

Stupid question, probably, but I'll ask anyway. How much gas is in the car? Since you have it up on ramps, if it only has a couple of gallons in it, maybe it's all run to the back of the tank and the fuel pump isn't picking it up. Try a shot of starter fluid in the intake hose and see if it hits. That way you'll know if it's fuel related or not.

Old 09-03-2019, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
Stupid question, probably, but I'll ask anyway. How much gas is in the car? Since you have it up on ramps, if it only has a couple of gallons in it, maybe it's all run to the back of the tank and the fuel pump isn't picking it up. Try a shot of starter fluid in the intake hose and see if it hits. That way you'll know if it's fuel related or not.
It has a half tank of gas in it & we tried starter fluid in the intake...I also checked the intake to make sure nothing had built a nest in it and we hit the starter several times! We just checked for the security light tho & it is on so I’m gonna try that! Thanks guys!

Old 09-03-2019, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by derf
If your battery died you may need to do a passlock reset procedure. Is your security light on or the security indicator on the dash on? If so, search passlock II relearn on Google and you will find tons of links to the procedure.

Not sure if this is the problem but it is one of the most simple possible explanations.

I will be awake for awhile if this is not the issue so post back one way or the other and I will check.
Well it was showing a security light then after I looked up the procedure & went to do it, the security light didn’t stay on! It still won’t start tho! It turns over but won’t fire! I’ve checked fuses...even took it bk off of the jack stands to make sure it wasn’t some sort of sensor because all the wheels weren’t touching the ground! Any more ideas? I have it sitting on the battery charger atm just to make sure it has a good charge!

Old 09-03-2019, 02:55 PM
Default List of everything I’ve tried so far (in one place)!

Ok! So I checked the intake for obstructions (none), sprayed starter fluid in the intake (no help), I can hear the fuel pump kicking on (& smell fuel after cranking it), tried banging on the starter a few times (no help), checked all the fuses, the battery is on the charger to make sure it’s got enuf juices flowing, it has a half a tank of gas, & the security light is not staying on! It’ll turn over but isn’t getting any fire! The plugs & wires are completely sealed in a case so I don’t think they could be the problem! I need a miracle! I know I’m missing something! It actually turned over & started for a second the first time we tried to start it but didn’t stay running very long (just a second) then died & no fire since!

Old 09-03-2019, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Why are you hitting the starter if the engine cranks over? If the car has over 100,000 miles check the compression you may have a bad timing chain and now bent valves.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by 02 LW300
Why are you hitting the starter if the engine cranks over? If the car has over 100,000 miles check the compression you may have a bad timing chain and now bent valves.
Idk! Just read somewhere that sometimes when they sit for awhile the starter can kinda clog up and won’t allow it to fire & if u tap on it, u can knock the gunk lose & it’ll fix it! Worked with the motorcycle! It was running fine when we brought it home & parked it...the only thing preventing it from going down the road was the cv axle was broken! It sat there for awhile & my brother pulled the battery out of it to jump his riding mower (I think)! Then he put it bk in there (didn’t attach the cables tho)! I replaced the cv axle & jacked it up level to replace the transmission fluid & reattached the battery, tried to start the car... it turned over & actually started for a second then died & ever since it just turns over (it’s not getting any fire at all)! I’ve since dropped it bk to the ground just to make sure that wasn’t the problem but...it wasn’t! I will check the valves & compression tho but I’m not sure how they could’ve gotten messed up! The belts looked fine but I’ll look closer!

Old 09-03-2019, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

It is a chain engine the belt only turns the alternator and the air conditioner.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:13 PM

Does that car have an IOD fuse and if so, Andy, do you know which one it is?