General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Help - Car not starting intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 05:46 PM

I have a 96 coupe that runs great most of the time, but it has been giving me trouble over the last couple months. It starts fine in the morning, but occasionaly (8Xs in last 2 months)it will not completely turn over when restarting after warmed up. I got a battery/alternator/starter diagnostic at Pep Boys -they found nothing. I took it to my mechanic who fixed some seemingly unrelated issue. Anyone have any ideas? I'm hesitant to take it to a dealership because of the price, but fear that they are the only ones who may be able to track down the problem. -the car will eventually start after sitting for 30 minutes or so.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Assuming you have no SES/no codes

1) Ever replace the ECTS?

ECTS -- Engine Coolant temp sensor and connector (Use Saturn parts here) - original design was resin tipped, cracked, and sends wrong temp info to PCM.

(Do this regardless if you have never had it replaced)

2) Check the resistance across the terminals of each coil pack when hot to see if they are in spec -- you may be losing spark/getting weak spark if one of your coil packs is going bad....

If issue perssits I would then check
3) Crank Position Sensor (CPS) (when hot)-- these are known to flake out when hot and cause no start conditions.

Derf