Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

engine intermittently dies 93 sw1

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 10:28 AM
Banned
Default engine intermittently dies 93 sw1

1993 sw1 engine dies randomly and it takes a while before im able to start it again. changed the crank position sensor, coolant temp sensor, throttle position sensor, map sensor, all fuses and relays are good. ive noticed my service engine light does not come on with the ignition on. does that mean i may not have power to the pcm? im going to check the bulb here shortly. if its good ill check power to the pcm. has anyone had a similar problem? ive checked my coils and ignition module they are good. any ideas could help! thank you.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:12 PM
Banned

the bulb was burned out. put another one in and got a code 26 quad driver output fault. what is that?

Old 12-30-2013, 01:16 PM

Sounds like you're a victim of the infamous ECTS failure. Do a search and you'll see that the ECTS can cause a multitude of headaches.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:29 PM
Banned

I had hoped that was the problem but i checked the engine coolant temp sensor and it was good, i still put a new one in just in case but i still have the problem. I have started to look at the egr solenoid but i cant find any checks i can do. i get .630 milli ohms through it but i dont know if that is good or bad.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:20 PM

Before you go any further, have you checked the computer codes? I'd run the codes on it now. I can't find anything in my Haynes manual about checking the EGR solenoid. Where did you get any info on checking it? Have you taken a good look at your spark plugs?

Old 12-30-2013, 06:51 PM
Banned

i checked the codes and got a code 26 quad driver output fault. i guess the egr solenoid can set that off, but a burned out ses light can also, which mine was. The only thing i found out about checking the solenoid was on another forum and said it should be between 25 and 50 ohms. i picked one up at the junkyard and i got 39 ohms. my original one got .26m ohms. I went ahead and soaked the egr valve in sea foam and cleaned out the gunk. I've got it all put back together and its been running for 30 minutes now. I'm afraid to drive cause its left me stranded too many times the last 2 weeks. the spark plugs are good, i just changed those out not too long ago.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:43 PM
Banned

still dies. just took it for a test drive after letting it idle for an hour. after 3 minutes of driving it died and wouldn't start.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:44 PM
Banned

now with it not starting i have fuel pressure to the throttle body but nothing coming out of the injector. does an injector intermittently cutout when it goes bad?

Old 12-31-2013, 03:23 AM
Super Moderator

for reference

https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/sh...ht=quad+driver

S car injectors are shut off when
There is no CPS signal
You are clearing a flood condition while holding pedal to the floor

This behavior sounds reminiscent of CPS failure; intermittent failure (car stalls) then gives up the ghost. You already replaced it I know. Just sayin'.

Might want to look into testing resistance of the CPS when car is in a no start position. Not convenient by the side of the road but I'm trying to help.

Might also want to look into possibility of connector/wiring issues.

Is code 26 cleared up or do we not know b/c it hasn't gone through it's diag/drive cycle?

Old 12-31-2013, 07:29 AM

Where did you get the CPS? If at Autozone or one of the chain stores, I'd be suspicious of it. ESPECIALLY if you got it at Autozone. I used to work for them and saw a lot of sensors and electrical parts come back due to failing right out of the box. They're unscrupulous when it comes to their vendors, and I have a good story to back that up, but won't go into it now. Check that thing and if it's effed up, go get your money back and get one from a Saturn friendly GM dealership or go to your local junkyard and yank a couple and ohm them out. If they test okay, try one in your car.

Quick Reply: engine intermittently dies 93 sw1