General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

EGR valve issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

And they were actual AC/Delco, not counterfeit ripoffs from China?
I'm not bashing you on this, but I've come across things like this before -- in fact most recently w repl a laptop battery for my neighbors. Some older laptops will only recognize genuine OEM batteries. Found a purported OEM battery for 1/2 the price on amazon. Label on batt IDENTICAL to factory battery. Works. We'll see how long it lasts.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by derf
And they were actual AC/Delco, not counterfeit ripoffs from China?
I'm not bashing you on this, but I've come across things like this before -- in fact most recently w repl a laptop battery for my neighbors. Some older laptops will only recognize genuine OEM batteries. Found a purported OEM battery for 1/2 the price on amazon. Label on batt IDENTICAL to factory battery. Works. We'll see how long it lasts.
You got me on this one. The box looked just like a Delco...everything did to the point I'd have no idea if it was a knockoff or not. The only thing is, I found a site that listed oem numbers and other makers numbers. Delco had two. The first when I looked up on amazon was the $100+ part and the number on the one I purchased was titled AC Delco Professional Performance or something like that. I'll go back and see if I can find the two listings and if possible, upload a pic of each. Now you have me wondering. While we're on it, what is the best way 5o tell if it's a knock off?

Old 06-25-2015, 02:04 AM
Super Moderator

varies by part type, but can have things like murky part number imprints/embossments, missing markings compared to originals (although things DO evolve w time), feel flimsy, gross weight difference (again, part design CAN change). Just a few examples.

There's no hard and fast rule.

For all we know, some AC Delco parts probably ARE made in China; I know the Saturn OEM s car rotors were after a while....I was asking a Saturn tech about a badly warped rotor I had; it was implied that the source country of the Saturn OEM ones and the aftermarket ones were the same so I would not be getting a superior product at the parts counter---which was part of the reason for talking to him.

As for the AC Delco Professional Series --that is a real thing but usually costs more than the regular AC Delco version. rockauto.com is a great place to purchase as well as window shop some of the best prices on the web for what appear to be authentic parts.
If there is a Pro Series AC Delco version, they will usually offer both versions

Last edited by derf; 06-25-2015 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:02 PM

"MADE IN CHINA"
A phrase that some times indicates a knock off of something and is so questionable value.
And as far as I have found in the support of the hobby I enjoy, that of putting back together a car for example that no longer has factory support because? The factory has been purchases, razed to the ground and a shopping mall now sits where the factory was.
Reproduction parts are often made in China if for no other reason than no where else can they be made as China in some cases has no or few laws that have to do with paten rights
However they are known for some of the best cast iron workings too.
I just bought a pair of replacement window lift motors for the front windows of my 1994 SC2. I bought them about 4 months apart and from Rock Auto. Why? Because if I go to my local Chevy dealer and purchase a repair piece for the vehicle (which I have done) the replacement parts is the entire lift mechanism for something looking at more than $200.00 and from GM.
Where as I found that from Rock Auto I could purchase the motor only for $45.00 and my budget has become tighter as the car has gotten older.
Both motors clearly stated with paper work, packaging and labels on the motor that they were in deed a genuine GM part and part number.
However stamped into the motor housing was the logo "Made in China".
Either it was whale of a good knock off or it actually was a GM part number and they came from a broker some were in the Rock Auto parts net work. And if so, GM sourced out the manufacturing of some of their parts.
Something that frankly is commonly done.
But I am still having fun with the 4bbl carburetor intake manifold I purchased actually from a friend of mine in the auto repair business, a brand new Chinese knock off of what appears to be an Edelrock Air Gap intake manifold for a SBC. The only marking being? Made in China.
It was deal! It works! And it makes an interesting conversation piece.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by uncljohn
"MADE IN CHINA"
A phrase that some times indicates a knock off of something and is so questionable value.
And as far as I have found in the support of the hobby I enjoy, that of putting back together a car for example that no longer has factory support because? The factory has been purchases, razed to the ground and a shopping mall now sits where the factory was.
Reproduction parts are often made in China if for no other reason than no where else can they be made as China in some cases has no or few laws that have to do with paten rights
However they are known for some of the best cast iron workings too.
I just bought a pair of replacement window lift motors for the front windows of my 1994 SC2. I bought them about 4 months apart and from Rock Auto. Why? Because if I go to my local Chevy dealer and purchase a repair piece for the vehicle (which I have done) the replacement parts is the entire lift mechanism for something looking at more than $200.00 and from GM.
Where as I found that from Rock Auto I could purchase the motor only for $45.00 and my budget has become tighter as the car has gotten older.
Both motors clearly stated with paper work, packaging and labels on the motor that they were in deed a genuine GM part and part number.
However stamped into the motor housing was the logo "Made in China".
Either it was whale of a good knock off or it actually was a GM part number and they came from a broker some were in the Rock Auto parts net work. And if so, GM sourced out the manufacturing of some of their parts.
Something that frankly is commonly done.
But I am still having fun with the 4bbl carburetor intake manifold I purchased actually from a friend of mine in the auto repair business, a brand new Chinese knock off of what appears to be an Edelrock Air Gap intake manifold for a SBC. The only marking being? Made in China.
It was deal! It works! And it makes an interesting conversation piece.
On my egr I was mistaken. I replaced it with a delphi...no issues so far and got it off amazon for under $70. Delco had one around $130. +/-. The iac I got is a Delco and got it for around $40 +/- ...I can post some pics to assist anyone looking or searching as soon as I figure out how to do so

Old 06-26-2015, 10:05 AM

Ok so I uploaded the screenshots I took into a folder under my profile. How do I post pics here though? When I go to do so it asks for a url and I have no idea what the url is for the pics

Old 06-26-2015, 05:54 PM

Click on the paperclip and it will load photos as thumbnails. It's the only way that works for me, but some others have succeeded in imbedding their photos in the text. I'm not that gifted, apparently.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Most people embed the photos in their threads by posting pics to places like photobucket and then copying the img src html code right into the post. Otherwise it's the thumbnails via paperclip

Old 06-29-2015, 10:52 AM

https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/me...-42-11-806.png

https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/me...-43-32-805.png

https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/me...-43-39-804.png

(Flank -- I used the icon that looks like a picture and pasted your URL's into it to get the images to show as images, not just URL text. If you go back into this post, you'll see the [IMG] and [/IMG] tags....(Derf)

Last edited by derf; 06-29-2015 at 10:37 PM.