General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Code p0410

Old 06-26-2016, 11:36 AM
Banned
Default Code p0410

Hi all,

I have a 2000 sl2. I am getting a p0410 code, which I know is secondary air (ie smog pump and control vavle). The car was originally a California car. I now live in a state where the secondary air is not required nor is it installed on sl2's that have been sold in this state. My state does emissions test (if you can call it that) the emission test consist of hooking an obd scanner to the car and making sure it doesn't throw codes, no codes car passes, codes car fails. Does anyone know if I can take the computer off of a car sold here and remove the air pump and control valve? Will that work? I have replaced the air pump and control valve and I still get that p0410 code. My son put a header in it that deleted the pre cat which have it more power and I have no interest removing that, because again this state didn't require a pre cat. Any help

Old 06-26-2016, 11:44 AM
Banned
Default Same problem here

Keith,

I am having the same issue, however my kid put a header in my did and deleted the pre cat since my state doesn't require it not do they require secondary air. Is there a way to reprogram the computer and remove the secondary air completely?

Old 06-26-2016, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

I suppose you could try to get a GM dealer to re-flash the PCM and possibly BCM to a Non CA car program version, but I think they may play CYA " CA car is CA car, and this VIN requires PCM program w CA Emissions".

Watch this and see if you can clean out the passages.

let us know

Old 06-26-2016, 11:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by derf
I suppose you could try to get a GM dealer to re-flash the PCM and possibly BCM to a Non CA car program version, but I think they may play CYA " CA car is CA car, and this VIN requires PCM program w CA Emissions".

Watch this and see if you can clean out the passages.

P0410 Secondary Air injection System Troubleshooting - YouTube

let us know
Thanks. I have already checked the air pump, check valve, air control valve, and all are functional. I have checked everything in this video and everything is working as it should.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator

The dog ate my homework 3 times.

Here is the gist:

When a code P0410 is set, the PCM is not seeing the front oxygen sensor voltage drop sufficiently when the Air Pump is supposed to be adding outside air in to the exhaust system to burn off the excessive HCs and CO that are created during the cold start of an engine.

Cold start the vehicle and watch the front oxygen sensor(s) on the scan tool data stream. After about 5-10 seconds, you should hear the secondary air pump start, it actually sounds like a vacuum cleaner running under the hood. Just as the Air Pump kicks in, the front oxygen sensor(s) voltage should go to less than .125 volts ( 125 millivolts ). If this does not happen, then you have verified a fault condition in the SAS or Secondary Air System OR a fault with the front O2 sensor.

If the entire SAS system is functional and free of all restrictions (including the passages inside the cyl head) are clear, the sec air should be getting in there and doing its job.

If not, there IS a restriction or your front 02 may require replacement.

However, since a header has been installed, I'm doubting there is an inlet provision for the diverter valve output pipe, so without the sec air, the O2 spec will never be met.

If you replace front O2, use Partnumber equiv Denso for the AC Delco OEM part.

Ultimately, it is in my mind easier to put back together as stock with the cyl head passages cleaned, as the time and cost to track down the correct PCM and reflash it is just not worth it.

Hold on to the header for when you do a full treatment of the intake and exhaust.