General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Re : 1998 Saturn SL2 - how to select propper clutch kit?

Old 06-27-2016, 11:11 AM
Banned
Default Re : 1998 Saturn SL2 - how to select propper clutch kit?

Hello ---- We are trying to figure out which ckutch kit from rock auto parts to select. We have 1998 SL2. We are tild there are two different transmissions for that year. Can any give us information as to the right kit and part number?

Thanks

Old 06-27-2016, 11:15 AM
Banned

By the way....our keyboard is out of wack....so please don't mind the errors above.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

It looks like an 98 SL2 has a 8.5 " 15/16" 22 spline clutch. Rock Auto lists several options that will fit your car, pick the brand, quality and price. Derf will correct me if I need correcting.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

My contribution to this discussion is more one of mild tempered semi-bewilderment at the listings of the various vendors w r t the dia of the disc.

The OEM disc was whatever it was.
The vendors are making replacement assemblies they CLAIM are for no other vehicles than the S Series 91-99.
So why don't they just put a friggin plate in there that is the same diameter as the OE?
Is that so hard to do? Is the CNC machine self-aware and has it locked out all changes?

8-1/4 to 8 -1/2" is only a spread of 4/16"

So to me, it obviously can't be bigger than 8 1/2".
But then why are half the mfrs providing a 8 7/16" plate? Do they think 8 1/2 is 1/16" too big?

Or is it somehow related to each vendor's product offering in the sense that "it all comes out in the wash" w r t how the overall kit is constructed, and the use of some other component of the kit mandates use of a 8 7/16" plate?

I searched for the original GM part and located it (21120564) still supposedly available.
It of course did not state the specs.

So, in partial conclusion, I can offer no more guidance than "buy a quality replacement". This is not a job you want to be doing twice.

Also, I found some interesting references to Saturn TSBs regarding the flywheel and if it is all in spec, you must remove and chamfer it, or replace it with a newly designed chamfered flywheel listed below. I THINK your clutch is the 2nd gen clutch, since 00-02 are the 3rd gen.

And PLEASE come back and tell us how it worked or didn't work. Not a whole lot of clutch jobs performed so any addition you can make to the knowledge base of our forum is much appreciated.

TSBs

Flywheel Inspection 1991-1999 on manuals

"Flywheel Inspection Procedures #95-T-37A - (Apr 16, 2003)
Flywheel Inspection Procedures

1991-1999 Saturn vehicles equipped with MP2 or MP3 manual transaxles
Purpose

When replacing the clutch disc and pressure plated due to normal component wear, it may be necessary to replace the flywheel assembly to ensure an effective friction surface. This bulletin provides guidelines to help determine whether a flywheel should be replaced.

Note: If the flywheel is resurfaced, the bolts connecting the flywheel to the crankshaft may, over time, come in contact with the springs located on the 3rd design clutch disc as it normally wears. (Refer to bulletin 98-T-24A or 98-T-XX for further information on updated clutch components.) This will cause the springs and bolts to wear and become damaged. This could lead to potential damaged clutch components and/or crankshaft. Therefore, Saturn highly recommends that flywheels no longer be resurfaced.

Important

Prior to performing the following service procedure, check the vehicle service history to determine whether the flywheel has already been resurfaced. If the flywheel has been resurfaced previously and the clutch disc is being replaced with the long travel damper disc (P/N 21120564), it is necessary to replace the flywheel with chamfered flywheel (P/N 21120535) and the following "Flywheel Inspection: procedure is no longer necessary.
Flywheel Inspection Procedure

Object Number: 881258 Size: SH
Click here for detailed picture of above image.

15. Inspect the flywheel ring gear for wear or damage to the teeth.

* If the flywheel ring gear is damaged, replace the flywheel.
* If the flywheel ring gear is not damaged, proceed to next step.

16. Check flywheel clutch-disc-contact surface for corrosion, chatter marks, scoring, cracking or overheating (indicated by blue discoloration).

Important

Random black spots on the friction surface of the flywheel are normal.

* If any of these conditions exist, replace the flywheel.
* If none of these conditions exist, proceed to next step.

Object Number: 878422 Size: SH

17. Using a dial indicator, measure flywheel runout. Push the crankshaft forward to take up thrust bearing clearance. Measure the runout at a diameter just inside the pressure plated bolt holes for at least two revolutions.

Maximum Runout: 0.15 mm (0.006 in.)

* If the flywheel runout is not within specification, replace the flywheel.
* If the flywheel runout is within specification, proceed to next step.

Object Number: 878425 Size: SH

18. Using a straight edge, check the flywheel for warpage.

Maximum Warpage: 0.15 mm (0.006 in.)

* If the flywheel warpage is not within specification, replace the flywheel.
* If the flywheel warpage is within specification, proceed to next step.

19. Using a micrometer, measure flywheel thickness in three places around the circumference of the flywheel. All measurements must be made at the same distance in from the edge of the flywheel and at equal distances from each other.

Minimum Flywheel Thickness: 28.75 mm (1.13 in.)

* If the flywheel thickness is not within specification, replace the flywheel.
* If the flywheel thickness is within specification, proceed to next step.

Object Number: 878494 Size: SH

20. Inspect inside edge of friction surface toward center of flywheel for a chamfer.

* If flywheel does not have a chamfer, then a chamfer must be machined into flywheel. Refer to bulletin 98-T-24A or 98-T-XX for flywheel chamfering procedures.
* If flywheel does have a chamfer and all other inspection procedures are within specification with no flywheel damage evident, then flywheel damage evident, then flywheel does not need to be replaced.

Parts Requirements

21120535 -- Asm - Flywheel (2nd design with chamfer)"
-----------------------------------

Old 06-27-2016, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Woo that was close. The clutch must fit other cars with slightly different diameter discs. Looks like all of those listed will fit your car.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

I would agree---but the flywheel thing seems almost equally as important if you want to get the job right the 1st time....

Old 06-28-2016, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

I agree!

Old 06-29-2016, 08:44 PM

Got my last clutch off Amazon for the 01 SL1. Luk is original equipment. Keep in mind that all the hydraulic kits I dealt with didn't have a long enough clutch master cylinder arm.

That included the one from GM.