Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Saturn SC2 Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 10:56 AM
Default Saturn SC2 Turbo Kit

Ok so i was doing a little search around the web for the saturn sc2 and i came across this ( http://www.fastwayracer.com/Turbo-Ki...b464de24892880 ). Now i havent heard much about turbo'd SC2's other than the fact that its hard to find a complete kit, but looking at this link seems pretty promising. Anyone know anything about this particular kit?? If so, i think im gonna have to scoop this one up ASAP!!!

Old 11-18-2012, 01:02 AM

i have seen the kit also and it looks to be legit i am thinking of getting one my self i have a 95 sc1 i am swapping to a dohc engine.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:43 PM

yeah this was the first complete turbo kit that i have found online so far. just about everyone else that ive seen that has a turbo'd SC pieced it together from various parts. I think the hardest part to find was the turbo manifold. Once you get your hands on that you are good to go

Old 11-18-2012, 09:40 PM

It seems to be a lot of valid hardware for a grand and implies when installed that it will work with the existing engine control computer. I am trying to remember if the Saturn System is a speed density system or uses a mass air flow sensor. It seems to me it is a speed density system which makes me think that an intake manifold sensor is important and if that is the case, that is usually a vacuum reading where as when a Turbo is installed that point becomes a pressure rather than a vacuum and if so how is that dealt with with this installation?

Old 11-19-2012, 10:33 AM

yeah i wouldnt trust the stock ECU in the Saturn to run a turbo, maybe only for a short time or if i had low boost. I would have to upgrade to a plug-n-play MegaSquirt system if i was running boost around 8-10psi. Not only that, but i think you would have to upgrade the fuel injectors too

Old 11-19-2012, 11:46 PM

Well if you carefully read the advertisement they claim the stock ECU will run the thing.
quote:
This is a perfect turbo kit for upgrading your car and get more boost. Your car will gain 100-150HP if you set at 7-15PSI. Customers require upgrade the fuel pump, injector and ECU to tune the car if you set at higher PSI
unquote.
Also included is a fuel pressure regulator which is adjustable. While the description is limited it implies that once installed it satisfies fuel delivery needs. The one in the car uses engine vacuum as a variable for fuel delivery.
That in conjunction with pulse width on time variations controls fuel on an OEM system. A fixed unit running at higher pressure would work, but normal driving conditions would not be compensated for with a fixed adjustment. That does not mean it would not work, just that it works adequately under boost conditions. Another function of fuel injection is to control engine timing (late or retarded and advanced timing) also as a function of the map senor. But it is designed to monitor vacuum in the intake manifold not to track the cross over from vacuum to pressure when the turbo kicks in.
There is no mention of that part of the equation when installed.
For over a grand for a package of parts, there are a lot of parts included and sounds like a good deal, but it only sounds like a plug and play system with limited capabilities. If you have a grand and want a turbo and some time to tune and determine what else you want to upgrade things with it still sounds like a good package.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:49 PM

ahhhhh i missed those details.... looks like imma have to start saving my pennies to get this thing installed in my car. Hopefully this kit is still around about a year from now. Id be bumbed if it isnt. Id say a meaty 190-220hp would be perfect for my plastic on wheels. Light weight and should be able to hang with any Honda

Old 11-21-2012, 07:12 AM

About 12 years ago I spent close to $3,000 to purchase a full blown turn key fuel injection conversion with a CARB (California Air Research Board) exemption to smog certification recognized in my state for smog criteria. It turned or was reputed to turn an AMC (then owned by Chrysler) in line 6 engine that dated from 1966 into a acceptable state of the art motor representing 1995 technology that could be and was modified into a potent power house that was both fast and smog legal, something that was difficult to do at the time with a 4bbl carburetor although they were available but not automatic transmission compatible at the time.
The whole package was based on the performance of the 4L Jeep engine and as it is a descendant of the 232 and 258 cu in AMC motor, many parts for the conversion were supplied from the 4L parts box. Except the algorithms the engine management ran off of were pure Chrysler.
Thus started a 5 year cycle of frustration as the thing ran like a pig under 2000 rpm and tech support's (Howel) answer to the problem was yours runs better than our Jeep.
So there is no problem.
What was not indicated in the specifications was the fuel injection Engine Management was based on being used with a 2200rpm stall torque converter.
A fact that I did not realize my self until I had purchased a late model (at the time) 1996 town and country and realized that it essentially drove like my Spirit did except that with a high stall torque converter from the factory under 2000 rpm the doggy performance was masked by the torque converter allowing the engine to spin up past 2000 rpm most of the time where it did develop quite a bit of ooomph. The engine other than idle did not spend much time under 2000 rpm.
So you did not notice how lousy it ran.
So a call to Roadrunner Torque Converters here in Phoenix describing what I wanted. A 2200 rpm stall torque converter for a 1980 AMC Spirit with a Chrysler supplied 904 automatic transmission. After all the extreme laughter settled down over the request they built me one and I installed it and it was as if a go fast switch had been installed.
That was a case where the specifications concerning the performance of a very expensive fuel injection conversion were not complete for what ever reason and tech support for this device was not aware of the specs that were not included thus pretty much useless that the reputation of this conversion went right down the toilet and after a few years the off road people who bought a lot of these were removing them due to lack of performance and no way to fix them.
Mine? I love it. It exceeds expectations every time I drive it. But, and there is always a but. I parked the SOB for 2 years after spending 3 grand on this conversion I was so damned mad at it before I figured it out.
It pays to read and understand what you are buying. Any decent wrecking yard is full of unfinished project cars started and not finished by people who bought stuff they had not idea how it worked or what to do with it, got it installed or partially installed discovered a problem they should have known about before they started it and finally gave up, and got rid of it.
And going through threads here and on other automotive forums, it is still happening that way.

Last edited by uncljohn; 11-21-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:08 PM

That is one thing that ive noticed about alot of so called "project cars." I was looking for a car to toy with on craigslist and that about all you find. Unfinished cars that people got fustrated with or was burning holes in their pockets trying to upkeep or constantly fix the problems. I know alot about cars and what not, but i dont have to confidence to install any kind of forced induction, engine, or transmission swap. I could live with myself if i screwed something up on what was a perfectly good running car..i just let the professionals deal with it. Simple tasks like upgrading the exhaust, suspension, body paint and that kinda stuff is right up my lane and within my exp. I would one day like to learn how to do the hard tasks but that later down the road

Old 11-21-2012, 09:26 PM

That is exactly how I got the engine I am using in my Hornet Project. Almost 3 grand had been spent on it by the previous owner buying and installing parts that were sold to him by people who saw the word sucker branded on his forehead. When he became totally frustrated with it time passed and I bought it for $300.00 from the boat is was installed in. I pulled it apart and took care of the screwups and called iskenderian and had them send me a cam shaft and then simply after cleaning the bejesus out of everything bolted it back together correctly. I removed and sold or threw away all the marine specific pieces and horsetraded or pulled from my parts stash enough parts to put it into my Hornet Station wagon.
Just today I figured out how to make room for the distributor so I am getting closer to actually starting it. My Costs? About $1500 total which includes purchasing the engine and transmission and all parts obtained to install it. A lot of horsetrading and junkyard parts though kept costs down. It has been mind bending figuring out the stuff to modify so that it works when wanted to. I probably won't do this again but it has been fun.
For example there are no radiator hoses available to use on a Mercury Marine Engine installed in a 1976 Hornet Sportabout. But by carefully cutting up a couple of radiator hoses collected on parts hunting trips and selected bent parts of the previous exhaust system I was able to connect the radiator to the engine using a combination of hard line obtained from the exhaust pipe and rubber bends cut out of a couple of hoses with hose clamps from my stash. A little paint and some rubber rejuvenatory it looks new!

Last edited by uncljohn; 11-21-2012 at 09:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Saturn SC2 Turbo Kit