General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Clutch hydraulic replacement didn't work

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2022, 05:07 PM
Default Clutch hydraulic replacement didn't work

My 1996 Saturn sl2 was starting to get real hard to shift so I replaced the hydraulic linkage. I used the master/slave combo
and the installation went pretty well. However the problem persists. I can't even get it into first gear, at least if I am at a standstill
and can only get it into second with some coaxing.

Is there any adjustment I can do? The car has over 300,000 miles and the motor is going through oil so I don't want to pull the
tranny and do a full clutch job.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Rick

Old 07-25-2022, 02:11 AM
Super Moderator

Not that I'm aware of.
Sounds like you got your money's worth out of it.

Old 07-25-2022, 07:35 AM

Stupid question, I'm sure, but did you check your shift cables?

Old 07-25-2022, 10:58 AM

@derf, It has been the best car I have ever had, as soon as I can afford it, I am going to get another Saturn.
@rubehayseed, I removed the center console and can see the the cables going to the shifter. I didn't check the other end. What should I look for?

Thanks for the help!

Old 07-25-2022, 11:12 AM

I can shift the car into second but not first when it is sitting and can get it into most of the gears when driving. How long can I continue
driving like this? Is this ultimately going to cause damage to the transmission and if so how many miles can I get out of it. I just can't afford
another car right now.
Thanks

Old 07-26-2022, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator

You're talking to the guy that has a 95 SC2 with 236k on it and passed on a 97SC2 w 267k to Rube. I love the s cars.

If you are at 300k and those are the original shifter cables, I'm going to guess one or both have stretched, causing the misalignment at the transmission end and likely some binding. Have a friend shift through the gears with the car turned off while you watch what happens at the transmission end.

If it looks like it's binding, you can try to find a younger set of cables on eBay or possibly purchase dorman cables. However, when the dormans first came out they were too long and would bind as soon as she put them in. I do not know if that is still the case. I'm talking 15 years ago.

Stop trying to put it in first if it won't go. Just start in second. I do that all winter anyway. Just conserve your clutch.

I'm not a transmission guy, so I cannot reliably tell you whether it's a shift cable issue or an actual clutch issue. Both come on gradually unless something is suddenly damaged.

Watch the cables at the transmission and let us know what happens

Old 07-26-2022, 10:04 AM

I don't think its the cables because when I am in gear and push in the clutch all the way the car will try and move. Thanks everybody for the help.
I am going to try and coax another couple of months out of this car and then hopefully pass it on to a Saturn enthusiast. I live in Eugene Oregon
if there is anybody that reads this forum in the area, get in touch with me.

Old 07-26-2022, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

But not in first cuz you can't get it there.

The car moves with the clutch fully depressed?

Sounds like more than one issue.