General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Brake drag - not caliper or line - need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 10:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by asbennett
Hi all - I am new to your forum. I have read many of the post related to the Saturn VUE XE 2WD brake drag and here is the issue:
I have 2008 VUE 2 WD. While driving the car starts to feel like it won't go (no power) and I smelled something hot. Also had a vibration from the front. Pulled over and the right front wheel was extremely hot. So hot it could not be touched at all and smelt burnt.

After cooling and suspecting a stuck brake - I backed up and tapped the brakes - this seemed to free the brake and I drove home with no problem.

After researching the problem on - line, I replaced the caliper, the caliper bracket, and the rubber brake hose and with the bracket - bled the lines and tried it again - same problem.

Now I am not sure what to do - can anyone help?

Could this be something other than the brakes?
If it is brakes - what is causing them to drag and how can I tell?
Most dragging problems come from the booster rod.It is not allowing the master cylinder to completely release the pressure. There has to be some play between the rod and the master, it is adjustable. Because the lines do not flex, the lines must be removed and the master removed to access the rod adjustment. I reach in with a long pair of pliers to hold the rod from turning and then reach in with a 7 mm socket and give it one whole turn clockwise. That usually does it. (To verify this is your problem, jack up vehicle and tires will not turn, open line at master and wheels will free up.) EVEN A NEW MASTER or BOOSTER HAS TO BE ADJUSTED. i have repaired many this way.