Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Parking Brake Issue/ LR Caliper

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator
Unhappy Parking Brake Issue/ LR Caliper

95 SC2 / 210K mi.

Spring-loaded lever at top of LR caliper to which the parking brake cable end attaches is stuck/frozen all the way in the forward position.

Loosened the cable via adjustment at the parking brake handle -- cable moves freely in its sheath and if I pull hard enough on the cable end by the LR caliper, the equalizer distributes the tension to the RR caliper lever (which operates just fine).

Removed cable (LR) from end of lever and freed up lever from rust buildup. No dice. Lever will not budge. Spring seems ok though obviously not behaving as designed. Strangely there is not really any wheel drag.....
________
Is the issue internal to the caliper? Is there any way to fix this?

What is the function of the bolt on the caliper which passes through the center of this spring-loaded lever (aside from holding the piece on)?

Derf

Old 04-19-2009, 08:49 AM
Banned

Derf --

I've thought about this for a while, and tried to recreate your problem on a test bench setup -- with no luck. The issue is internal to the caliper, and needs to be replaced. I suppose, if you disassembled the caliper totally, and ran it through a boil-out tank, you might get it to work, but I personally would simply replace the caliper if nothing else but for peace-of-mind

Old 04-19-2009, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you OA,

Oddly enough, it seems the regular braking pressure is still evenly distributed enough to pass inspection here in NJ. So the piston seems as though it is working.

It is just the dang parking brake actuator on the caliper is jammed in the forward (unengaged) position. I got it to move about a 3/8" in either direction using a combination of PB Blaster and brute force. Whatever gear or other mechanical setup inside there is binding up big time.

Of course, now that it moves just a little bit, the parking brake cable end on that side keeps popping out of its slot on the actuator arm.

Solution: 1 zip tie at the cable end by the caliper. Otherwise I get about 5 pulls on the lopsidedly imbalanced parking brake, the cable end pops out, which causes the balancer to lose tension on that side, popping the the other side's cable out at the balancer.....leaving me with no parking brake at all. As is, it will hold the car with one wheel but will not stop the car quickly in an emergency.

I will swap it out soon.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Banned

Yeah - regular braking should work OK ... but don't park on any steep grades and trust just the parking brake

Old 06-17-2009, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator

Always leave it in gear......

Old 07-15-2009, 08:20 PM

I am kinda having the same issue, when i thought it was the parking brake, i completely loosened it and they are still locked... any help you could post on https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-3-door-coupes-28/rear-brakes-wont-release-locked-up-help-3495/