General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

98 SL2 standard trans wont turnover

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 07:24 PM

Very true... Whatever the outcome, be sure to update the boards. I wouldn't mind knowing the sensor's location just for random future reference...

Good luck...

Old 04-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Switch is the Clutch Start Switch, and is closed when the clutch is fully depressed. Should be yellow wire in (from ignition), purple wire out, I believe. Check for low resistance across switch when clutch is fully depressed (you can actually hear the switch).

Old 04-09-2007, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by arehm
I have 98 Sl2 stick shift it has been working fine but I went to start it recently and it wont turn over. it has all the power it needs and everything works but it wont turn. Are ther safty sitches on these cars that wont allow it to turn over? How about a fuse that might cause this problem?

Be sure the battery has a decent or full charge before performing the following; check all the fuses and be sure any anti-theft system is disabled to prevent interference with testing the starting system.

To eliminate the clutch safety switch would be to bypass it temporarilyby jumpering the connections assuming the shift is in neutral and the e-brake is applied before turning the igniton key to START. If this doesn't work then the next step is to check all the battery connections for worn, loose, corroded cables including the ground connection. Check to see if the wiring is loose at the two starter terminals. If familiar with the starter wiring you can short the two starter terminals with a short screwdriverand see if the starter engages with or without the ignition key inthe ON/RUN position.If there is a starter engagement then there is loose or corroded wiring at the terminals. No starter noise would mean the starter (original?) is worn and replacement is needed. Remove the temporary jumper to the clutch switch after repairs.Edited by: ducky

Old 04-10-2007, 11:58 AM

can anyone tell me where the safty switch is located?

Old 04-10-2007, 03:47 PM

I'm guessing I was wrong in assuming it's the same as a Civic?

Old 04-10-2007, 09:09 PM

The clutch safety switch is wired in series to prevent the starter from operating if the clutch is in anda gear is selected or not. Its located by the clutch pedal mounted on a bracket to activate only when the clutch pedal is depressed all the way to the floor, safely allowing an engine start. It may look like this; [img]uploads/ducky/4EC59_clutch_switch.jpg[/img]

Old 04-15-2007, 04:18 PM

okay everyone thanks for the help so far. Heres the latest update. Found the clutch safty switch it is located on the floor board below the clutch pedal arm the arm hits it when you push the clutch to the floor I jumpered the switch and still nothing i also jumped the starter and the starter it self works fine any other safty things or possibly fuses or relays?

Old 04-15-2007, 06:13 PM

Yes, there's a starter relay somewhere near the steering column, not the starter solenoid on top of the starter. This relay is taped up with the harness; look for it carefully as it was a late factoryadd-on for anti-theft use to prevent starting. Specifically, pin 87 and 30 is jumpered out to bypass this altogether or replace the relay. Good luck hunting.