General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

96sl1

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:11 PM

A quick check of the service literature I have at my desk does not give me the informaion I was looking for. It does say that as far as timing goes, and I am referring to ignition timing, not timing of the cam shaft to the crank shaft it says it is non-adjustable. My question is, and I do not have the answer here in front of me and won't until some time tomorrow, in the process of changing the engine over did you remove and then replace some form of ignition module that involde umplugging the spark plug wires and then reconnecting them to the spark plugs or if there is more than one module, cross connecting some plugs. To tell the truth, I have nvr had to worry about it on mine so I can not remember how it is set up and would have to look.
But some of the other GM ignitions about the same time had dual coils, one for every two spark plugs. So it was possible to hook the wrong spark plugs up to the wrong coils, and it has been done. That being the case, the wrong plug would fire causing the pause when trying to start the car.
I am think of the V6 cars with 3 coils and that has been done. I do not know or remember whether that can be done on the 4 cylinder Saturn motor. I must look further to try to answer.
If it is possible though, could you have done this. If not, well, my bad for a poor guess.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:44 AM

bad computer??wires hooked up wrong?
if it ran good at the yard then its something electrical in your car .
try some starting fluid and see if it runs on that .verify that you are getting spark to each cylinder.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by uncljohn
A quick check of the service literature I have at my desk does not give me the informaion I was looking for. It does say that as far as timing goes, and I am referring to ignition timing, not timing of the cam shaft to the crank shaft it says it is non-adjustable. My question is, and I do not have the answer here in front of me and won't until some time tomorrow, in the process of changing the engine over did you remove and then replace some form of ignition module that involde umplugging the spark plug wires and then reconnecting them to the spark plugs or if there is more than one module, cross connecting some plugs. To tell the truth, I have nvr had to worry about it on mine so I can not remember how it is set up and would have to look.
But some of the other GM ignitions about the same time had dual coils, one for every two spark plugs. So it was possible to hook the wrong spark plugs up to the wrong coils, and it has been done. That being the case, the wrong plug would fire causing the pause when trying to start the car.
I am think of the V6 cars with 3 coils and that has been done. I do not know or remember whether that can be done on the 4 cylinder Saturn motor. I must look further to try to answer.
If it is possible though, could you have done this. If not, well, my bad for a poor guess.
It has one igniton module its two coil packs
i did unplug it and put it to the side.
but i looked up firing order and replugged it back in

Old 02-10-2011, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by john doe
bad computer??wires hooked up wrong?
if it ran good at the yard then its something electrical in your car .
try some starting fluid and see if it runs on that .verify that you are getting spark to each cylinder.
Starting fluid ive tried
I have spark on each cylinder.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Banned

Did you change out any of the computers in your car when you and your buddy installed the new engine ??

Old 02-10-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by OceanArcher
Did you change out any of the computers in your car when you and your buddy installed the new engine ??
nope.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:32 PM

o.K., additional information still assuming that there is a possibility something is hooked up wrong.
I have a 94 Saturn SC2. I can only assume that it is not that much different than ur car. Standing in front of it with the hood open the black lumpy thing is the engine more or less hanging out on the left hand side of the car. Left side facing it is the passenger side of the car.
The cylinders starting from the left are 1 through 4 in order.
the wires go down on mine to the two (2) coils on the right side of the car about half way down from the top. They are bolted onto something black and lumpy and I can see them from where I am standing They go from left to right that is passenger side to drivers side.
If I call the furthest one on the left the 1st titty where the wires are hooked up, that titty is hooked up to the #4 cylinder, then, #1, #2 and last #3 cylinder.
If these are some how hooked up in the wrong order than the starting sound of Crank, Crank, Grunt/pause would be heard.
And if they are, that would not be the first time that has happened, just the first time to you.
O.K., coke break over, I am going out to put together more of my Chevy engine I am building.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by uncljohn
o.K., additional information still assuming that there is a possibility something is hooked up wrong.
I have a 94 Saturn SC2. I can only assume that it is not that much different than ur car. Standing in front of it with the hood open the black lumpy thing is the engine more or less hanging out on the left hand side of the car. Left side facing it is the passenger side of the car.
The cylinders starting from the left are 1 through 4 in order.
the wires go down on mine to the two (2) coils on the right side of the car about half way down from the top. They are bolted onto something black and lumpy and I can see them from where I am standing They go from left to right that is passenger side to drivers side.
If I call the furthest one on the left the 1st titty where the wires are hooked up, that titty is hooked up to the #4 cylinder, then, #1, #2 and last #3 cylinder.
If these are some how hooked up in the wrong order than the starting sound of Crank, Crank, Grunt/pause would be heard.
And if they are, that would not be the first time that has happened, just the first time to you.
O.K., coke break over, I am going out to put together more of my Chevy engine I am building.
thats how they are

Old 02-13-2011, 01:48 AM

The sound you are describing still sounds as if the timing is incorrect. Whether it is or not or why is still open for question, but it appears so far to be wrong. So, What happened when you tried starting fluid to start the engine with.
If you assume for the moment there are three things the car needs to run, Air, fuel and spark
and they are all comming when they should it oughta run.
Far as I know, there is no adjustment for timing so unless hooked up wrong and you say it isn't if it has spark at all, it should be there when it is supposed to. That leaves air and fuel.
Adding Starting fluid to the equation something should happen when it it sprayed in.
I have a hand full of cars of different types. If I want them to start, they will when starting fluid is sprayed at them. If starting fluid does nothing, then the next question might be, did you break something to cause a big vacuum leak or hole some where such as a vacuum line or a plastic intake manifold. At the moment, can't guess any better than that.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:17 PM

Coil pack was flipped and mounted backwards causing firing order to be different..
flipped and put wires on
fired up
thanks for everyones help

Quick Reply: 96sl1