General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

96sl1

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 10:38 PM

I didnt run the car with no ects
It always idled rough but not like it is now, the ects connector wire was hacked up so i replaced that when i bought the ects. there was no way to reuse the old connector it was all messed up.
And i never had the problem of when it is put in gear it tries to die if u dont give it gas.

p0744 torque converter clutch circuit intermittent
p0749 pressure control solenoid circuit intermittent
those are the only new codes .
would you suggest to clear all the codes and let it run?

sorry for the double post... im just worried about the car and dont have much money to put in it i spent a lot on it lately. and i need the car to be running better by friday at the latest so im stressed too
my thoughts so far is fuel related problem .... fuel pump, filter or regulator
idle air control valve needs replacement or adjustment or both...
What would you go about doing next?

Last edited by 96sc1996; 01-24-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:37 PM
Banned

Well, we've got the list of codes ... now we need to see which still remain. If it was my car, I'd clear all the codes and run a couple of drive cycles - then check for new/recurrent codes to see where I stand at this point in time .....

Old 01-25-2011, 08:13 PM

my buddy came over and we did a lot of tests and found that 2 of my cylinders arent having compresson one has 0 and one has 30 and other two have 140
so i need a motor most likely... anyone know of any motors for sale?

Old 02-07-2011, 10:35 AM

my buddy and me put in a junkyard motor.
I know the motor works started it up at junkyard when in car and it ran good
now i have it in the car and it cranks wierd crank crank pause crank crank pause
tried a new starter same thing.
tried jumping it from another battery
tried with charger on it.
the car has spark
the plugs have gas on them.
and the plugs turn black (Brand new plugs too)
ANY IDEAS IM SO LOST.

Last edited by 96sc1996; 02-07-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Banned

Foolish question, but what year/make/model Saturn did the engine come out of ???

Old 02-08-2011, 10:45 PM

96 saturn sl1

Old 02-09-2011, 09:12 AM

I'd like to add to Derf's comment and in the same vein. Wanting to help is what many of us are about. The difficult part in many cases is these cars as are many of this era are incredibly complex as to how they run and run well. Many of us are accomplished back yard mechanics and do things we have learned to do over time with out thinking about it. Where as you, and no offence ment are a total stranger and we (the collective we) not only do not know what you know or frankly each other know. It becomes difficult to suggest a simple repair mostly because there is not one to suggest.
A book on how to repair these (and other) cars is generally available in the help section of your autoparts store. Owning one (about $25.00) is almost a prerequisit to being able to repair things. Reading the instructions while wrenching is how many of us learned.
Try to give as much information as you can a when you ask for help.
It's broke
and I want it fixed.
Does not get it done.
My first car had no options.
It ran, the doors opened and when I stepped on the brakes it stopped.
To start it you mashed your foot on a button on the floor.
It had one tail light. A second one was optional.
You could fix it with a crescent wrench and a package Juicy fruit gum.
Those days are gone.
Bare with us at times when we screw up or become impatient because we too are human (sort of most of the time) and this is a hobby too.
And mostly (although I forget it myself) DIY is supposed to be fun!

Old 02-09-2011, 10:52 AM

Sorry, there must have been a page 2 I did not see.
Crank, Crank, Crank, Pause
sounds like a timing problem with the ignition trying to fire the wrong spark plugs.
What is the possibility you took something apart installing the new engine having to do with the electronic ignition and put it back on wrong. This seems to be the most common type of problem with this type of symptom.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by uncljohn
I'd like to add to Derf's comment and in the same vein. Wanting to help is what many of us are about. The difficult part in many cases is these cars as are many of this era are incredibly complex as to how they run and run well. Many of us are accomplished back yard mechanics and do things we have learned to do over time with out thinking about it. Where as you, and no offence ment are a total stranger and we (the collective we) not only do not know what you know or frankly each other know. It becomes difficult to suggest a simple repair mostly because there is not one to suggest.
A book on how to repair these (and other) cars is generally available in the help section of your autoparts store. Owning one (about $25.00) is almost a prerequisit to being able to repair things. Reading the instructions while wrenching is how many of us learned.
Try to give as much information as you can a when you ask for help.
It's broke
and I want it fixed.
Does not get it done.
My first car had no options.
It ran, the doors opened and when I stepped on the brakes it stopped.
To start it you mashed your foot on a button on the floor.
It had one tail light. A second one was optional.
You could fix it with a crescent wrench and a package Juicy fruit gum.
Those days are gone.
Bare with us at times when we screw up or become impatient because we too are human (sort of most of the time) and this is a hobby too.
And mostly (although I forget it myself) DIY is supposed to be fun!
it was fun doing it but I need it fixed ive been having this problem for like a week
I have a copy of alldata so ive been looking on there and its honestly not helping.
I just have run out of possibilities.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by uncljohn
Sorry, there must have been a page 2 I did not see.
Crank, Crank, Crank, Pause
sounds like a timing problem with the ignition trying to fire the wrong spark plugs.
What is the possibility you took something apart installing the new engine having to do with the electronic ignition and put it back on wrong. This seems to be the most common type of problem with this type of symptom.
I only took the timing cover off to reseal and install new water pump
i didnt change the timing or anything
What else could I have possibly changeD?
is there a crank relearn or something.?

Quick Reply: 96sl1