General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

94 SL1 power loss, pep boys says bad comp

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 06:06 PM

I recently took a long road trip and had my fuel pump die on me in the middle of nowhere, TX. I paid 600$ to get the fuel pump replaced with a used one, and it ran fine after that (no power loss at this point).

About 5 days later, on the return trip, I noticed I had lost a lot of power, and there were some new intermittent noises that have since disappeared. Anyway, I couldn't accelerate up hills, in fact, my car would start to slow down going up some of the bigger ones.

When I got home, I noticed that when I started it after letting it sit over night, the rpms would not pass 2000 rpms if I jammed on the accelerator. After a few minutes running, however, it would redline just fine.

That made me think the fuel pump I got was faulty, so I took it to pep boys for a diagnostic. I told them about my power loss problem, and they checked it out and said that they thought the computer was bad because of the codes it gave them (32 72 73 53 27). They told me to go to the dealer to have it replaced.

What do you guys think? Computer? I saw some similiar issues on here but the EGR valve or ECTS was to blame.

If I go to the saturn dealer to have them check it out, do they usually charge for a diagnostic?

Thanks for any help.

Rye

Old 02-19-2007, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Rye,

Here are the description of the codes you listed above...

32 --EGR system fault
27 --Quick quad driver output fault
53-- ESC Knock Present
72 --Cooling System Temperature Low
73 --CTS sensor unstable

Indeed, the 27 and the 32 point to EGR issues (EGR itself problably needs cleaning, and the EGR solenoid may be bad (cannot remember if 94 had vacuum or solenoid driven EGR -- believe solenoid).

Remove and clean EGR and check the solenoid for proper operation.

72 and 73 -- both indicate your ECTS or the connection to it has failed.
Replace ECTS and connector (saturn only part).

Knock code can set for a variety of reasons -- clear up the ECTS and EGR issues --clear the codes, and see if the knock code comes back.

Derf

Old 02-19-2007, 12:33 PM

Derf, seriously, thanks!

I will do all that right now.