General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

2007 Saturn Vue Help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 07:22 PM
Default 2007 Saturn Vue Help please

My 2007 Saturn Vue 2.2L engine

Is leaking oil on passenger side and smells like burning rubber when i drive.
Just recently it started to get to or just a tad over the 1/2 mark of getting to hot.
now when the fan kicks on to cool the engine its hard for the vue to accelerate past 30mph.
i cannot see where the leak is coming from and only that side of the car has massive amounts of oil everywhere from Mid part to all over the bottom of passenger side.
again i get a burning rubber smell and on ocassion white smoke from the passenger tire area.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Any warning lights on on the dash? Like the one with the oil can or the surface engine soon light?
What does the oil level read on the dipstick with the vehicle level and the engine cold?

Do not let the oil level get low or you will damage your engine. How much oil has leaked over how many miles, approximately, based on how much you have had to add?

Old 05-03-2020, 08:30 PM

This is the only light that comes on for 30 seconds when i start my car then dissapears.
i dont know how much oil i lose in how many miles
But i do keep oil in at all times by constantly checking my oil.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

The oil light should turn off once the engine has been running for a few seconds. It indicates sufficient oil pressure has been reached inside the engine to keep everything lubricated.

30 seconds is way way way too long for.the oil light to remain solid on that start up or any other time.

Several possibilities here.

The oil pressure sending unit is defective. Sending wrong values to the car's computer making it think oil pressure is low. This is not terribly uncommon, but based on the fact that you have oil leaking everywhere, I am not leaning towards this being the issue in your case, though the only way to tell is for someone to test it with a manual oil gauge pressure tester and compare to what the car's ECU is being told.

You've already mentioned there is a huge oil leak from the passenger side of the engine. It may be that the leak is severe enough that The oil pressure cannot build properly because of the leak and therefore takes 30 seconds to reach the proper level. This is a bad situation all around if true, because it means that the oil is not being sufficiently distributed throughout the engine for the first 30 seconds. This type of situation tends to cause irreparable damage to the internals depending on how the oil does or does not get distributed.

There's also a possibility that you are not keeping the oil level at or near full. You've said that you are keeping oil in it and I believe you. The question is are you keeping it up to the full mark. If it is losing that much oil, I would suggest taking it in to a GM dealer, probably Chevy, and having a diagnosed.

Driving a vehicle with the oil light on while knowingly lows and significant oil is a recipe for eventual disaster if the oil light behavior is in fact true. There's a small chance the oil pump itself has an issue or the strainer is clogged but that should not create a leak.

The service wrench light is also on next to the oil light. I do not know what triggers the service wrench light on a Vue. Using a full featured coats scanner may assist in diagnosing the cause of the service wrench light.

Ultimately, you need to figure out how much oil you are losing per unit distance and you need to do it quickly. Because if you are adding a quart every thousand miles but really losing three quarts, your engine is not long for this world.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:56 AM

I'm guessing a loose valve cover or possibly a blown cam seal if it's leaking that much. White smoke coming out from the passenger side could just be where the oil is leaking onto the exhaust pipe. Like derf said, you'd better get that thing checked out ASAP unless you have another car or like walking everywhere. As for the burning rubber smell, have you even looked at the fan belts? If one is broken (I don't know how many are on it) and tangled up in the pulleys, it could be disastrous for you and your VUE. GET IT TO A SHOP!!!

Old 05-04-2020, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Most oil leaks on 2.2 l engines are from the crank seal behind the balancer. This means oil gets on the belt and the oil pump is directly behind this seal. Take your car to a mechanic you trust and get it repaired. The balancer bolt is a torque to yield bolt so request a new bolt. Torque to yield bolts are a one time use bolt.