General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

2005 Ion popping noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 11:54 PM

Uncljohn, i found some leads on a manual, but it's pretty time consuming hunting for an Ion Factory service manual at a reasonable price. I started a new thread just now. still struggling for time / money to get parts together for some much needed car repairs, and will post back on these bushings.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:31 AM

It is hard to chase down factory manuals and they are not cheap either. In fact with the advent of Fishe, some factory manuals are only available in that format. Other sources are suppliers of reproduction factory manuals. Some of which are available on CD's.
But like everything, volume sales drives availability. And if the interest to buy them is not there, neither is the reproduction of them. It takes time and money to get into the market and generally it is some form of cottage industry that does so and they expect to get their investment back from sales. So it is a cycle, Unless factory manuals are floating around or the demand for them is, the reproduction people are not going to make them.
I have avoided buying a CD manual simply because they do not have pages that can be book marked and written on nor carried out to the garage. Although it if was the only thing available and I needed one I would have one.
I do have Fishe and a Fishe reader. That was hard to find but I found one. I have a collection of factory manuals for cars I have owned and still have. I also have Chiltons and Motors manuals. Some date back to the 30's, others are the paper back marque unique ones.
They all have a function to serve and are again, invaluable when needed.
I have noticed on one forum I am on that features models of a manufacturer gone and out of business, the last version of the car produced was F.I. with the capability of reading out the error codes. No one uses that feature.
A feature that is absolutely invaluable in solving problems. You have to go through a ignition key sequence and the codes blink on the check engine light.
I don't know exactly when that feature stopped being used as and it is not important but my S series Saturn and my fuel injected variation of that model both do it along with a Dodge I used to own.
That is the difference between blowing a ton of money guessing and knowing where to spend it.
And on that forum a lot of people blow a ton of money guessing.
On the Saturn forum here, the watch word is what error codes are being presented and that IS the way to go.
Good luck on finding a service manual if you need one. I sure do not regret spending the money to buy any that I have. And good luck on finding a job to let you do it too.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:18 AM
Banned

UnclJohn --

My '93SW has that error code option, as do any cars of the OBD1 era ....

Old 02-23-2013, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by OceanArcher
UnclJohn --

My '93SW has that error code option, as do any cars of the OBD1 era ....
================
The catch to that is two fold. If you have never owned a car that had that option or whatever car you have owned, you never needed or knew about it you would not know it exists or how to go about discovering it exists. Nor would you know what the acronym OBD1 means nor any other acronym meant associated with it meant nor how long the era was and is there and OBDII? When some one describes something as a responce to a question using acronyms that may be manufacture unique and assumes that one knows what they mean the answer is pretty much a waste of time in some cases. I really don't know how long the OBDI era is or was. I have not had a need to know.
I know it exists because I have a purchased a service manual to explain things to me.
Some people have bought a Saturn because it represents cheap used transportation. It does not make the car any less complex to be cheap and used. And on my2007 Chrysler which represents the OBDII era I have yet to have a need to know how to get error codes out of it yet.
But in the minds of some it is what it is and is cheaper to throw something away and buy something else. If it costs too much to take it to a dealer to fix it. Of course if there is no dealer, the answer is self evident. You can't take it to a dealer if there is none.
Either they fix it them selves or take it to a corner repair man who may not be any smarter than the owner is, just a better salesman.
A Saturn to most collectors does not represent a collector car yet and some models no matter how much individually liked never will be. Others? Might be eventually.
It does not take much effort to look back in time at some of the no longer manufactured cars and determine which ones today are worth putting money in to and others? If they are restored the only value is to the person restoring them. In the open market they are not worth the cost of restoration.
A Model A Ford is worth more as a hot rod than a numbers correct restoration. Just saying.
Or if you owned a Star. Another Assembled automobile made by General Motors. One of the many corporate platform cars GM has made and a synonym for Badge Engineered, a process of manufacturing the Bud steel stamping marketed internationally in the 1920's and 30's how much money would you budget towards restoration of it vs say a Cadillac of the same vintage with the thought of getting your money back from selling it.

We have not heard anything from Chocolate in a long time. She was fun to have around and got a lot of help here and appreciated it too I am sure.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Default Sway Bar Bushings

okay, so i take a day of vacation from work a) to change oil in daughter's '03 Dodge Ram ... b) to order bushings / clamps, etc for my Saturn (finally got money together). Start the truck up to move into garage & revved to make it up the driveway. Next thing i hear is a loud crack, followed by several loud banging sounds under the hood while i'm in the cab. then i notice parts of something being thrown out the sides of the truck. i let it roll back down the driveway and begin to make out something very large lying on my driveway ... being given a bath in antifreeze. The water pump shaft broke in two; and the cooling fan slung itself directly into the radiator knocking rad into the tranny cooler. Radiator ruined, fan twisted into wreckage, which was the part lying on the ground, bottom section of fan shroud is in about 50 pieces. Looking at it, the water pump corroded and got weak enough to break. Never seen one break before just really grateful my daughter was not on the freeway when it happened. no one was around - no one got hurt.

just letting everyone know i keep trying to fix my Ion sway bar popping; but can't clone myself & don't have the money no more. I've seen better days; but i've seen worse. will post back when i can. pricing truck parts now

Old 03-05-2013, 06:15 AM

WOW!
And I thunk I was the only one to have my car chunk parts out on to the ground when it found out my financial back was against the wall!
Good Luck!

Old 03-01-2014, 08:31 AM

107,000 and I need to change the sway bar bushings in my youngest Daughters 2007 ION 2......Also needs a TPS.

Last edited by RjION; 03-01-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:48 PM

RJ, i wish i could offer a happy ending to my sway bar bushings; but believe it or not, i still haven't done a thing about 'em ... hoping to this month or next though.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:58 AM

Did you either of you get this done yet?

Old 03-09-2014, 06:47 PM

Got the parts, waiting for you to come over to put them in. Then you'll know how to do yours.

Quick Reply: 2005 Ion popping noise