General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

2002 SL2 Fuel Door, MPH, speedo needles, etc not lighting up

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 07:28 AM
Banned

Yikes... I'm an ex-preacher, current CPA- I can look at fuses but pulling clusters sounds beyond my expertise: didn't take after my dad who worked at GM 26 years, helped design electronic fuel injection, etc. But living close to Spring Hill maybe I can find a Saturn person to help me.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:37 AM

It's not all that difficult to do, man. Usually just a few screws to remove, slide the cluster forward, unplug it and pull it out. No speedometer cables to worry about undoing nowadays. It's all driven by the electronics. Go to youtube and look for a guy called richpin. He had a ton of how to's for Saturns. Oh well, I'm feeling pretty good this morning. Here's his video. It's about 10 minutes long.
I got a buddy that lives in Spring Hill, but he's a Mopar man. He'd want to charge you for removing the cluster. As you can see, it's not that big of a deal. Go for it. I'm sure you can do this.

Last edited by Rubehayseed; 01-16-2015 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

ex preacher turned CPA?
That's a right angle career move if I've ever seen one. Not criticizing -- just a comment. Not for me to criticize someone else's life pursuits. It's just that I never heard anyone refer to themselves as an "ex-preacher". The two things that come to my mind when someone uses "ex-" as a prefix are "con" and "wife"....

Indeed richpin demonstrates it is not that hard to get at the cluster.

The best way to learn this kinda stuff is to get your hands dirty so to speak. Just take it slow and have the video on a laptop on the passenger seat if that makes you feel more confident. The biggest step for most car maintenance stuff is getting over the fear of breaking ****.

Next you'll be cleaning throttle bodies (even easier), changing PCV valves (even easier), spark plugs, etc.

You just need to pick a place to "dive in". This seems like a great one to me. You'll be amazed at how much money you'll save over the years maintaining your own vehicles.....

Go for it!!