Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here...

Symptoms of bad fuel pump????

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 04:26 PM

Look, fuel pumps don't have bearings. Someone is messing with you. Just do what some have suggested here and post back. If you're not willing to take the advice given, then why do you keep asking questions?

Old 08-25-2011, 09:25 AM

sorry guys it took so long

we got the car warmed up so where the noise came up, open up the gas cap, the noise was not comin from there to the best of my knowledge, it was appArent it was seperate, comin from somewhere under the rear part of the car......ok what next??? does it rule out the pump?

what do bad fuel pumps sound like?whinin or whistlin sounds wheter ornot they have bearings.

we ddnt pull the relay pump or fuse???should we while the car is on willaccomplish what?

THANKS

Old 08-25-2011, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
Look, fuel pumps don't have bearings. Someone is messing with you. Just do what some have suggested here and post back. If you're not willing to take the advice given, then why do you keep asking questions?
Yes they do and are held in with the same wingnut that holds the muffler bearing in.
It's normal for a bad fuel pump to sound like nothing because they stop working. Now a leak in the fuel system can make the type of sounds your talking about. But ya never know for sure untill you get your backside under the car and investigate. Biggest problem for us here on the internet is we can't hear it, we can't see it, and you can't type or spell.

PS: The fuel pump is inside of the fuel tank.

Last edited by sw2cam; 08-25-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Banned
Default Possibly Defective Gas Cap

OK - Now, we starting to move. As a couple of people guessed, I wstrying to see if the gas cap gasket was defective. Bad seals let air in and causes improper mixture ratios for the engine.

You will probably have to get the car up on jackstands (or find somebody with a lift), and get underneath the car with it running and look at the area in the rear where the whistle is coming from. I suspect a rotton/defective hose that connects to the evaporative canister.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:58 AM

so it can be a bad hose vent to the fuel tank your sayin?if i am wrong please explain which hose ur talkin about and where is it, how much?

if ur rite, thats a much better diagnosis than replace in fuel pump......

so next step i to get under there, the ques. i have w hose to canister is how come it takes a while to warmup the car b4 make that noise if its just a hose???shldnt it make that noise rite away?

yes, my friend said the pump has bearins, whether or not it does i dnt care but that noise is annoyin, its not been gettin louder but if it does its got to be the pump i guess.....

any other tests i can do? can some1 explain pullin the fuel fuse/relays what will that show us???ddnt want to mess with the electrical unless i had to.

THANKS

Old 08-26-2011, 09:13 AM

Look .... if we knew the exact problem you'd already have the answer. At some point you need to listen to advice & help yourself.

Last edited by sw2cam; 08-26-2011 at 09:43 AM.