engine starting/fuel pump - Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Old 02-22-2007, 11:39 PM

I have written about this before, but I need to make sure I know what I am talking about.

I have a 1997 Saturn SC 2dr with the 1.9 engine. My problem is or seems to be, not getting fuel to the engine when first turning the key. It takes a few times before the gas gets there to finally start the engine.

I have been told, "it is the fuel pump, allowing the gas to get by and drain back into the gas tank". Is there a checkvalve built into the pump or is it somewhere else??? Am I looking to replace the pump, which is working or a checkvalve which is not.

Also, I thought I read somewhere, that there is a trap door that I can access to replace the pump without dropping the gas tank. Where is this located? Is it under the back seat or in the trunk somewhere?

Thanks

Old 02-23-2007, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator

97 fuel pumps do tend to allow fuel pressure to bleed off between starts.
Ones that were massively defective were extended warrantied (up to 100K I believe)

Workaround:
Turn the key to run, listen for the fuel priming "hum", then a click when the hum ends.

THEN turn the key to START.

Once primed, the car should start right up. Saves wear on the starter, and total cost is 5 seconds per start ($0).

I have 195K on my original 97 SC2 fuel pump--this trick works like a charm.

Derf

Edited by: derf