Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here...

1994 sl2

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 05:02 PM

Pulled batt ground wire & cleaned egr it was full of carbon ,I mean it was packed full I was sure I found the problem cleaned out all crap in egr used air to get it out of ports in motor sprayed egr with cleaner & wd40 nice an free.
Took it for a test ride code 26 again the light dos'nt come on as fast! has a little better pick up now..frustrated!

Last edited by paulsl2; 06-29-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

Go down the list I posted and troubleshoot in that order.....

Old 07-01-2009, 08:16 AM

thanks for the info. about things to check, where can I find the ses circit,canister purg solenoid,coolant hot light,upshift/shift to D2 light,speedometer cutout.
If you can get me a quick list of locations I am confedent I will get this resolved thanks again

Old 07-01-2009, 08:20 AM

saturn sl2 4 door auto trans. 1.9 dohc
please help I need to find the problem it runs fine but that darn light keeps coming on at a stop.

Last edited by paulsl2; 07-03-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:15 PM

today i worked on the saturn for a hour and a half cleaned all sensors and checked all the circuits and I still have the code 26 is there something else it can be other than the things listed?

Old 07-06-2009, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

Does the light only come on at a stop, then go off once you get moving? IF the light only comes on when you come to a stop, it sounds to be an EGR related issue, since EGR is trying to close at that point

If the egr is trying to close but can't get all the way closed (hanging up), the PCM may be blaming that on what it thinks is an EGR solenoid issue, since it has commanded the EGR to close but it is not closing all the way.

With key off, measure the resistance of EGR solenoid -- it should be 22-42 Ohms. If not, replace.

Personally, I would also pull the EGR again and truly ensure the pintle has a full range of motion, and that there is no carbon crap left in the passages which would cause the pintle to hang up.

There is also the possibility that your EGR valve may need replacing --sometimes a cleaning isn't good enough, or the motor that actuates it goes bad from the strain a clogged uneasy to move EGR puts on it.

Go for a second EGR cleaning and the Solenoid resistance test.

Post results before you run out and buy a new EGR as they are pricey.

Last edited by derf; 07-06-2009 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Dangling sentence removed, solenoid resistance corrected
Old 07-06-2009, 08:44 PM

Yes the light comes on only when I come to a stop then 5 to 10 seconds later it turns on then when getting up to speed it turns off ,the time I am at speed it dos'nt come on at all, Thanks for the tip,but my solenoid is a vacuum type,but I will give a real good cleaning.lets see what happens?!!?

Old 07-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Although the EGR system on your 94 is vacuum operated, there is still an EGR solenoid present. The EGR vacuum is controlled by the PCM, which energizes or de-energizes the EGR solenoid by providing or witholding ground as necessary. When the solenoid is energized, it prevents vacuum from reaching the EGR valve by venting it to the atmosphere. Under approrpiate conditions, the PCM removes the ground which de-energizes the solenoid and allows the vacuum to open the EGR valve.

The EGR valve is open only when the throttle is open more than 4 percent and coolant temp is above 104 F.

As far as correlating to SES light behavior, the EGR is probably not closing all the way when you come to a stop and the throttle is < 4% open. Likewise, once you get going, the EGR does open (even if sluggishly) and the light goes out....

I would still do the EGR solenoid resistance check (note I corrected the value above)

Correct spec is 22-42 Ohms for the EGR solenoid.

Also, check for vacuum leaks .....

Old 07-07-2009, 06:05 AM

My E G R is controlled by vacuum derectly off my throtle body ,no power involved at all,I allready checked for vacuum leaks in the lines ?!?!

Old 07-07-2009, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

So the vacuum lines don't run to anything else on the way to the EGR?
Such was the case for 91-93, and in 95 they went to electrically actuated.
I am not aware of 94 being different ....(???) can you post a pic?

Quick Reply: 1994 sl2