Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

99 SL purring like a happy kitten

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 07:49 PM
Default 99 SL purring like a happy kitten

well maybe a loud kitten. my Shiela had her oil changed, coolant changed along with thermostat and new fuel filter. She needs the front flex exhaust pipe that goes from exhaust manifold to cat. Any ideas where I can get this? I have looked at auctions on ebay, and they ask for info from sticker on the radiator mount, under the hood? I am puzzled as to what info they need. is it whether this is a California car?

Since I had new synthetic oil in her crankcase, I took her for a ride on Interstate. I floored it in 2nd, up the 3k before the rest of normal shifting. Is this still a good idea for blowing out carbon?

I really appreciate all of your valuable information and help.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

I'd take it easy with the throttle.

See More Information for WALKER 52165

for year specific part numbers for the Walker downpipes.

You probably need the 52165 used in 98 and 99 as the downpipe w/ flex pipe.

Looks like a weld in, but by all means get under your car safely and check out the confiig!

The walkers are OK for FEDERAL emissions but NOT CALIFORNIA emissions. That's what they are asking for infowise so they sell you and you buy the correct one for your vehicle.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:52 AM

hi, thanks for info. I know she's a seniour citizen, but what did you have in mind when you said ease off throttle? I'm sorry, I always need to know why.

Thanks for the info on the front/down pipe. I will order one since the car's new doctor said he could install it.

thank you!!!! :-)

Old 11-10-2016, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe in the old days, when there were lots of little old ladies that drove their cars infrequently and at low speeds the old adage was to "take er out on the highway and blow the carbon out of the engine."

Fuel delivery was different, fuel itself was different, so the results of combustion were different. More crap, basically. So taking a car like that out on the highway, get the rpms up, getting the operating temp up would in theory allow some of the built up carbon deposits in the carb, head and in the exhaust system to get loosened up and eventually burned or literally blown out through the exhaust.

Combustion has become more efficient over the years (ignoring the fact that the majority of the energy generated by an internal combustion engine is lost as heat). Fuel is "cleaner", so are emissions. Design improvements take minimization of buildup into consideration. The only place on a modern car that immediately comes to mind as being prone to carbon buildup is the EGR valve. You're blasting it w exhaust right off the manifold and some gets to flow through now and then.

If the engine begins to burn oil, you'll be cleaning that EGR quite often, as the extra hydrocarbons in the oil add to the regular results of combustion and extra amounts of carbon get deposited. If you take an oil burning car out on the highway to get the rev's up on a modern car in an attempt to blow the carbon out of it, in my opinion all you are doing is increasing the amount of carbon generated per unit time that will clog your EGR.

In the case of a Saturn S series, I suspect that the oil control ring varnish that builds up is worsened as the volatiles produced at the higher internal engine temps are likely to be deposited on top of the varnish already there, likely increasing oil consumption. This is MY TAKE on it. It may be incorrect but it's my take.

And then the obvious -- why punish a higher mileage engine? The SOHC may not be as fun to drive as a DOHC but I'm sure you can enjoy it up to 4k rpm.

Old 11-11-2016, 01:24 AM

oh dear, the EGG has to be cleaned? how do I do that and with what product?
thank you for your take.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

No, it's not an egg, it's an Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve.

It'll throw codes when it starts to get clogged.

You remove it from the engine (easy) and spray the passages clean w carb/choke cleaner. The pintle and its bore must be clean so that the pintle can move freely between open and closed position as commanded by the PCM.