Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

99 SL - Blinker/Flasher relay clicking away like crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Default 99 SL - Blinker/Flasher relay clicking away like crazy!

I have a 99 SL Sedan. I will just be driving along or sitting there (with car running) when all of a sudden the relay that controls the blinkers and also the flashers, the "Combo relay" just above the chime box will click anywhere from a few times, to going completely wild clicking away for a few seconds or a minute, then stop. I have not noticed any other ill effects but I cannot believe that something is not about to go horribly wrong. I have replaced it, this has not helped. Does anyone know whats wrong?

Old 08-06-2011, 04:47 AM

There might be a possible problem going on with the turn signal swith located inside the steering column.
My Saturn is not driven a whole lot and is a 94 so age and usage may cause some corrosion to take place in the switch contacts.
I have found that to happen on my car periodically. I have also found that driving it more often and actuating the turn signals cause the switch contacts to apparently clean themsleves.
Is this a positive cure? No, I am guessing, it could be coincidence. Dunno. I have fooled myself before.
Although as long as it continues to sort of fix things I am not going to figure out how to pull the steering wheel and look at what is going on.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:34 AM

OK one thing I have noticed is that if I turn on the blinker the clicking stops immediately. Should I replace the blinker switch? IT does not seem loose or anything odd, but i cant see what else it could be? Wires somewhere that deteriorated?