Vue swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2023, 10:58 AM
Default Vue swap

Hi all,

new to forum and looking for any info/thoughts on swapping a 04 V6 and transmission(MJ7)(FWD) into a 03 Vue 2.2L CVT model.

The 03 transmission went at 130,000 and there is a slight knock in 2.2, the body and interior is like new on 03, whereas the 04 has a bent frame and trashed interior along with electrical issues concerning the interior(BCM?)

Any thoughts or direction on this is much appreciated.

Thanks for looking!
​​​​​​

Last edited by derf; 12-19-2023 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-19-2023, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

I'd be very surprised if it couldn't be done. However we don't have a Vue expert on the forum right now.
​​​​​@DropDead , what do you think?

We'll see if he stops by. If not, I can refer you to another site that likely has write-ups on doing the transition, I mean transmission, I mean swap I mean you know what I mean

Old 12-20-2023, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator

This swap is not for the feint of heart. If the sheet metal is the same then the swap is a bolt together. The four and six cylinder L series cars share sheet metal. I would want to solve the bcm issues with the donor car before continuing with plans to swap. The entire wiring and mechanical parts will need to be moved.

Old 12-20-2023, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by derf
I'd be very surprised if it couldn't be done. However we don't have a Vue expert on the forum right now.
​​​​​@DropDead , what do you think?

We'll see if he stops by. If not, I can refer you to another site that likely has write-ups on doing the transition, I mean transmission, I mean swap I mean you know what I mean
Thank you sir!

Old 12-20-2023, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by 02 LW300
This swap is not for the feint of heart. If the sheet metal is the same then the swap is a bolt together. The four and six cylinder L series cars share sheet metal. I would want to solve the bcm issues with the donor car before continuing with plans to swap. The entire wiring and mechanical parts will need to be moved.
That was my thought, literally swap everything that could be swapped(BCM,ECM obviously) and accompanying harnesses along with everything else that I could concerning drivetrain,and electronics. one of my concerns was motor mounts, I had read that they were not a direct swap and haven't been able to find any idea of what needs to happen.

Thank you sir!

Old 12-21-2023, 11:34 PM

I'll check back in tomorrow when I'm awake. It should essentially be a direct swap. Assuming both cars are optioned the besides the drivetrain difference, you may be able to get away with just swapping modules.
look up the body harness p/n for each vehicle per vin.

And yea, I'd figure out the electrical issue before I started the swap

Old 12-22-2023, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by DropDead
I'll check back in tomorrow when I'm awake. It should essentially be a direct swap. Assuming both cars are optioned the besides the drivetrain difference, you may be able to get away with just swapping modules.
look up the body harness p/n for each vehicle per vin.

And yea, I'd figure out the electrical issue before I started the swap

Great idea about harness part number! I will see what I can find out,

Yea electrical gremlins will have to be sorted, Buddy that owns it said sometimes tach doesn't work(ECM or short? ) And interior fan stays on regardless if on or not. Stereo was robbed out of it a few months back while it was in his garage after accident which bent frame in back, he said that's when the gremlins started.

Thank you!

Old 12-26-2023, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Chris962
Great idea about harness part number! I will see what I can find out,

Yea electrical gremlins will have to be sorted, Buddy that owns it said sometimes tach doesn't work(ECM or short? ) And interior fan stays on regardless if on or not. Stereo was robbed out of it a few months back while it was in his garage after accident which bent frame in back, he said that's when the gremlins started.

Thank you!
Gremlins started after it was hit? Or after the radio was taken out?
The tach and the blower motor sound like 2 different issues.

Where are you located? I may be interested in the knocking 2.2 if close enough and it's not a complete destroyed engine

Old 12-28-2023, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by DropDead
Gremlins started after it was hit? Or after the radio was taken out?
The tach and the blower motor sound like 2 different issues.

Where are you located? I may be interested in the knocking 2.2 if close enough and it's not a complete destroyed engine
Sorry for delay, Holiday/family stuff.

He said it started after radio was yanked out, maybe damaged harness some how? But I thought maybe he didn't notice tach not working until he parked it.

Located in East Orlando area.

Last edited by Chris962; 12-28-2023 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-28-2023, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Chris962
Sorry for delay, Holiday/family stuff.

He said it started after radio was yanked out, maybe damaged harness some how? But I thought maybe he didn't notice tach not working until he parked it.

Located in East Orlando area.
Kinda sounds like something was damaged in the process of removal. Dash harness may be the same between the two cars, though.

Eh Orlando is to far for me to drive

Quick Reply: Vue swap