VTI tranny swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 06:44 PM

Eureka! I found some wiring issues and got them straightened out. Car starts and drives but the reduced power light is on! However i don't have any security light issues. Is the procedure to reset this different because of the car starting now?

Old 12-27-2014, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by gattabout
Eureka! I found some wiring issues and got them straightened out. Car starts and drives but the reduced power light is on! However i don't have any security light issues. Is the procedure to reset this different because of the car starting now?

Which ECM do you have on the engine?

Old 12-28-2014, 07:44 AM
Default VTI swap

I switched ECM's yesterday and car went into "security" code. Used communications reset procedure and on 4th step engine started and the reduced power setting was reset to normal. Now I don't have cruise control. I am wondering if that was controlled with the AWD ECM? I am going to troubleshoot more on Monday. A friend has a code reader I can borrow, there is a "Service Engine" light on.
Thanks for all the "expert" advice I have recieved so far on this project! It has been a tremendous help just knowing I am headed in the right direction!

Gattabout, 2002 Vue AWD VTI tranny swap to a 2005 Vue 5-speed.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:46 AM

Oh yeah, I didn't have speedometer before swapping ECM, now I don't have cruise but do have speedometer!
Almost there, Gattabout

Old 12-28-2014, 04:03 PM

Sounds like you're slowly, but surely getting all the bugs worked out, man. I admire your tenacity. I'm just not that patient anymore.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:51 AM

Regardless of what you do the service engine light will stay on. My cruise control worked as soon as the procedure was performed to get the new ECM to function. After running my Vue for a while now I have a check engine light on. The thing is that after checking it with a scanner numerous times without finding any codes or pending codes I feel it is a faulty signal being sent to the light. Every now and then when driving my speedometer needle drops to 0 and back up to speed for a second but does not effect the cruise control or anything else so that issue must be in the cluster, I'm assuming. My Vue is only front wheel drive so I am not familiar with the AWD model configuration. Is the ECM that you acquired from a 5 speed Vue which was AWD? Maybe that could make a difference.

Glad I have been able to assist you.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:55 AM

Might also want to ensure that your fuse for the cruise control is good. Also unplug and plug in the plug at the cruise control module to ensure a good solid connection there as well.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:40 AM
Default cruise issue

That will be my 1st check, connections and fuses.
Hope to have the car on the road (legally) by evening. Of course being retired somedays I don't get out to the shop till noon, LOL
Thanks again for all the help, Gattabout

Old 12-29-2014, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Blaisa -- where'd your signature go? Please reinstate

gattabout -- please configure yours to match those already on the forum. Click on your name at the top right of the screen, go to user cp and edit your signature. Thanks. Glad to see you two are working so closely together to solve the annoying minutia of these kinds of swaps.

First and foremost, it gets your vehicle on the road.
Second, it documents the path to get there and the small details someone needs to know.

That's what satunforum is all about.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:36 AM

I usually take my signature off in a thread after it has been used initially. Maybe I should shorten it if I need to post every time I post a reply because I do not want folks thinking I am bragging about my vehicles. Thus the reason for not repeatedly posting my signature in a thread.

I love to help out as that is the reason in which I first sought out this forum in the first place. Doing this swap has been pretty straight forward and easy once it was accomplished.

Quick Reply: VTI tranny swap