Transmission help

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Default Transmission help

I have a 2003 vue 2.2 fwd with the vti, my transmission has gone out. when it is running it just stop moving. I have been looking to get this rebuilt. but no one is interested what kind of solution have people done to fix these transmissions.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:05 PM

Call dealer with VIN .... you may have some warranty, no joke.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

yes those vti's had an extended warranty cause they all pretty much bit the dust at low mileage

Definitely call dealer

Old 06-11-2010, 01:24 AM

A google look up, which may be incomplete gave the following information;
In 2004 GM extended the transmission's warranty on all 2002 - 2004 GM vehicles with the VTi to 5 years / 75,000 miles (120,700 km) due to high failure rates.
Applications:And this bit of information too;
The VTi is assembled at a General Motors/Fiat joint venture plant in Szentgotthard, Hungary
Which probably instills a vote of confidence for it in us all!

Old 06-13-2010, 11:56 AM

well i took the vehicle to the dealership and spoke with people from gm, my vehicle is not covered now because of it being over 100,000 miles, what else are my options, thanks for the help guys.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Overlooked text of first post.

Stopping while running is a SAFETY ISSUE.
Keep banging on the GM folks that this is a SAFETY ISSUE caused by the failure of a component known to fail in these and other GM vehicles.
Emphasize SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY.
Make them ride in it -- ask them if they'd feel safe with their kids in it

Maybe you can hammer them down to you pay parts, they pay labor on a non vti replacement.

check with a DIFFERENT non-local GM dealer as to what will be needed to put in a non vti. The Tranny Control Module (TCM) --- I'm assuming there is one --- will likely need changin, and the PCM will likely need to be re-flashed to handle the input from the non-vti.........I think.....I don't know VUEs or Ions that well) (someone chime in here )

Emphasize dealer check first before you go hittin the wreckin yards and buyin something you later find out is more $$ than just the tranny itself.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:27 AM

The following URL
http://www.lakinlaw.com/CM/ClassAction/ClassAction55.asp
Is one of many that gives information on this transmission and GM's stand as to their assumed responsibility.
I am not aware of any really successful use of this technology as an automotive transmission application that does not include high failure rates, expensive maintenance costs and in many cases the product just flat dropped. The earliest known application in an automobile that I am aware of in some form or another was the Dutch Daf and the transmission has been popular in Snowmobiles and commercial applications where variable power transmission was required. It is not the first time a transmission design introduction was less than successful. Ford marketed an automatic in 1940, but recalled and replaced every one of them with a 3 speed standard transmission before the model year was ended. The next Ford effort in automatics was 1951 and was based on the propriotory Borg Warner design of the time. Although the Lincoln also used an automatic from about the same time but they bought theirs from Caddilac and did so up through 1954.
Something that is far more difficult to do now with the use of international proprietary parts becoming more standardized requiring different hard mounts to locate them and computerized electronics with associated unique wiring configurations to operate them along with smog certification requirements and safety designed collapsible zones with in the car body itself. It no longer is a simple bolt and unbolt procedure which allows quick and easy modifications to take place.
I am not saying it is impossible. Just highly improbable that it can or will be done. I have retrofitted a turn-key fuel injection kit designed and marketed by a Major American automobile manufacturer to be able to retrofit to an earlier model AND be smog legal and certifiable to boot. Parts cost was close to $4000.00 and it took me 40 hours to do it. At $80.00 an hour that is another $3200.00 alone and that would have been my cost alone for parts and labor. At those prices a 5 year old Saturn would be cheaper to throw away and replace it with something else that would be newer almost.
Oh and the justification for my efforts, a hobby. Cost Effectivity was a joke.

Last edited by uncljohn; 06-14-2010 at 06:32 AM.