Surge and Cruise Control Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 06:09 AM

Sometimes I feel a very faint surge, my RPMs and Engine speed / sound never changes but its like a gust of wind might of hit me. Its usually during a constant higher speed. Cruise control will also seem to inflict this more when its activated. Cruise control also seems to be accelerating a lot more then it should and at higher RPMS. Instead of slowly gaining speed on very light inclines it bare down more to get itself up to where it needs to be. It doesn''t always do this, but it kind of catches me off guard when it does.

My guesses were just being paranoid after my old car had so many problems. And possibly having some different characteristics on the road since its in AWD.

My used VUE Redline had only a 3 month / 3,000 mile warranty on powertrain so I guess I''m tring to nail down anything cropping up before its over! [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Unless its just my imagination![img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

Thanks!

Old 10-22-2008, 06:52 AM

Same problem here.
To me it seems the ''shudder'' is transmission related. Though no mechanical fault is prevalent. Possible it is near a shift point and wandering...not sure.
Let me know if you have had any luck in determining the root cause.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:14 AM
Banned

I have seen problems with vehicles of the 98 vintage where the AT would not fully lock in the final gear at highway speeds, causing a slight surge/shudder feeling, but it was visible in the movement of the RPM gage as well. Dammed thing would not set a code, the only way to verify was place diagnostic test meters on the transmission and drive (not something a dealership wanted to do)

Old 10-22-2008, 06:53 PM

This is definitely worth looking into more thoroughly.
Some of Taipans concern about the over-active cruise control on slight inclines seems acceptable and consistent with a suspicious transmission.
The kicker is it happens at slower speeds also.
The RPM fluctuation also occurs at range in a lower gear.

Archer I cant verify if that model trans has an accessible torque converter lock-up switch or not.

Perhaps a weak spot in the throttle/pedal position sensor
More research is needed. I will post again soon with some info.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:16 AM

Good news.
Bad news.

Good news is this: The transmission is ok.
Bad news is this: The torque converter is not.

BIG GM problem with the 5 and 6-speed auto trans. Unfortunate for them, since it is a HONDA design. For me, it is a no charge replacement. How fortunate.

Taipan...you may not be so lucky. You might try your hand at pressing the dealer you bought it from into getting that job done for you. Hopefully you bought it from a Satty dealer.

Good Luck