Oil Catch Can for '08 Vue with 3.6L V6

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 03:48 PM
Question Oil Catch Can for '08 Vue with 3.6L V6

Hi All,

New to the Saturn world. I am going to be wrenching on my Aunt's '08 Vue that she got last April. I did an oil change a couple weeks ago and found that 3qts came out; and it was very dirty. I'm gonna guess it has been a while since the last oil change. Also noticed a small puddle of oil the morning after she visited last (nobody parked in the spot after she left). Cutting to the chase; since I don't see a pcv valve listed for this engine; would it be wise to get a sealed oil catch can for the breather tube? I haven't gotten into the intake yet, but I kinda expect to see a bit of oil in there. I almost want to get an oil/air separator (assuming that's different from an oil catch can; i.e. no filter element in the can) for that car.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

08 Vue

Engine?
XE or XR or fake Redline?

Old 12-04-2019, 09:21 AM

I don't know, but I will find out next time she's over.

If this happens, I'm thinking of getting the same Trick Flow oil/air separator that I got for my Crown Vic when the pcv system was clogged in that car. I ended up sealing that catch can by removing the filter element and replacing it with a grommet and an -AN adapter fitting. I'll just get ****** union fittings to mate the stock tube to whatever hose (probably going to be -10 AN) I get. It made the MAF in the Crown Vic happy at the time. Just thinking ahead.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

All three engines for the 2008 Saturn Vue have a PCV system.

3.5 V6

3.6 V6

No, I don't know where it is.

Old 12-05-2019, 06:10 AM

Air oil seperators are nice and fancy. Using one on my turbo swap.
but it would probably be cheaper to use a baffled catch can. And a bit quicker.
but you seem to know how both systems work

Old 12-05-2019, 11:33 AM

Thank you again derf

DropDead; it was a lot of trial and error; mostly error with my Crown Vic. Fortunately that 5.0L was half dead when I was learning EFI and Ford's EEC-IV. I discovered what unmetered air was after installing the air/oil separator the 1st time. LOL I just hope I learned enough to avoid those mistakes on the Vue.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by derf
08 Vue

Engine?
XE or XR or fake Redline?
Vue XR

3.6 VVT

Raining like crazy tonight; gonna wait ‘til the weekend to get a better look at what I’m dealing with.

Old 02-17-2020, 11:40 AM

So I got a little time this weekend with the Vue. I took pictures of the engine sans the engine cover. I purchased the PCV AC Delco 12601254 hose and I am going to use the Steeda oil/air separator that was going onto the Crown Vic. Also going to use my reject throttle cable bracket to mount the catch can. Next decent weekend, I will mount it and plumb it all in.

Old 07-14-2020, 02:15 PM

So, this project got a little sidelined by the COVID-19 pandemic. But I am back at this. I have changed the oil twice since December. I put Royal Purple in there back in March. Only had it in there for 1K miles before switching it out. I discovered a long time ago that Royal Purple has quite a bit of detergent in it that loosens up the grime. That's what it did in the Vue. Switched it out in May for Mobil 1 and will wait for 5k or when the oil turns dark before switching it out again. I will run Royal Purple through this 3.6 once a year to clean the grime. It runs noticeably smoother now even after putting Mobil 1 in there.

This coming weekend I will be replacing the plugs and coil packs. When I scoped out the job; it looked easier than I thought it would be. There is enough space in the rear of the engine to get a wrench in there. I have one question though; does anybody have the torque specs for the spark plugs? I will Google it, but if anybody knows or has experience with this, I would be grateful.

Old 07-17-2020, 09:23 AM

In preparation for this, I am going to set up the air ratchet. I am not sure if the plugs in this car have ever been changed. If it's anything like my Mercury, they will be fairly stubborn. Fortunately, I was able to get the electric impact and a couple quick taps from that was enough to loosen the stuck spark plugs. I will be very careful with the air ratchet, as it is the only tool that I can use to get to the rear plugs. Of course I will blow the plug wells out a bit before removing the plugs. I don't know if the heads are aluminum, but I will dab a little hi-temp anti-seize on the spark plug threads anyways. Does anybody know the torque specs for the spark plugs on the 3.6L V6?

Quick Reply: Oil Catch Can for '08 Vue with 3.6L V6