O8 Vue - Suddenly will not start

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 04:08 AM
Default O8 Vue - Suddenly will not start

I just purchased an 08 Vue, 4 cylinders. I have experienced no problems until it suddenly will not start. The lights come on, the instrument panel lights up and the interior fan comes on but when I turn the key to start nothing happens. The engine does not attempt to turn over and there are no clicking sounds that are usually associated with a dead or dying battery. Attempts at jumping the car off and even removing the battery and charging with a charger for several hours does not correct the problem. I have moved the shifter to neutral and other areas but to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestion of where I might look for the solution to this problem?

Old 01-11-2020, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Starter diagnostics begin with a known good battery with adequate cold cranking amps.
Do you own a digital volt ohm meter? An inexpensive one is fine for occasional use. The meter will tell actual voltage at various parts of your electrical system. Start with battery connections both the positive and negative. The large cables are there to run the starter and to let the alternator recharge the battery. Smaller wires run the rest of the car.
Does everything electrical work correctly on the car? High blower for the heater lights and the wipers are the next loads to check.
What does the battery voltage drop to and how quickly does it drop. It has to stay above 10.5 volts with max load including the starter. If the battery drops off quickly and goes below 10.5 volts replace the battery. Sometimes a battery will fail suddenly and not crank an engine.
If the battery passes all these tests your problem is either starter control or the starter itself.

Old 01-11-2020, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by 02 LW300
Starter diagnostics begin with a known good battery with adequate cold cranking amps.
Do you own a digital volt ohm meter? An inexpensive one is fine for occasional use. The meter will tell actual voltage at various parts of your electrical system. Start with battery connections both the positive and negative. The large cables are there to run the starter and to let the alternator recharge the battery. Smaller wires run the rest of the car.
Does everything electrical work correctly on the car? High blower for the heater lights and the wipers are the next loads to check.
What does the battery voltage drop to and how quickly does it drop. It has to stay above 10.5 volts with max load including the starter. If the battery drops off quickly and goes below 10.5 volts replace the battery. Sometimes a battery will fail suddenly and not crank an engine.
If the battery passes all these tests your problem is either starter control or the starter itself.
II have not checked to see if there's a drop in amperage when I try to start the car. But I do know the lights and the blower motors run and when I try to start the car they drop off and then start back slowly. This makes me think the amperage is dropping off. I will check the empress tomorrow thanks for your help

Old 01-14-2020, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator

And...........

Old 01-14-2020, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Voltage, amperage should not be freely interchanged. I do work for a major electrical utility.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:21 AM

After taking to a local mechanic I am told the voltage is correct throughout the system. He says he is getting a code to reset the body control module but he does not have the equipment to do so. Is th is something the dealer has to do? Is there something I can do myself? Does this sound like a correct diagnosis? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-03-2020, 01:11 PM

Only thing you could tey is pulling the connectors and soraying them with die electric grease.
otherwise the dealer will have to flash it. As long as it doesnt have to be replaced should just be an hour of labor

Old 02-03-2020, 01:21 PM

That is what I am being told. The local dealer wants to charge $125 for diagnosis and another hour of labor if they determine the module has to be flashed. If I have to get another module from a different car will the dealer be able to flash it and make it work in my vehicle?

Old 02-03-2020, 05:45 PM

They can but won't.

You're better off going to the junk yard and pulling an ecm and bcm (they have to match) from a car with all the same functions as you.

Old 02-03-2020, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

I think you misunderstood his last question.

I believe if he can prove the mileage before BCM failure, they may flash a PCM other than his. They are already agreeing 2 flash his BCM so they are okay with the mileage. Therefore they should be okay with the mileage in doing a junkyard one. I will agree that most dealers will refuse to flash something you did not buy from them but who knows.

Quick Reply: O8 Vue - Suddenly will not start