Noisy & rough engine until warmed, then fine

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 04:17 PM
Default Noisy & rough engine until warmed, then fine

I have a 2007, V6 Vue with 98,000 miles. Recently when starting the car, the motor has become noisy and rough until the temp gage needles raises just past the first quarter mark. After that it seems to be fine. However, last night under heavy acceleration, the engine seemed quite rough until I eased off the hard acceleration. I just

bought the car and do not know much of its history. I have the FIXD APP and it gave me the code PO446. If anyone has any input into the how to deal with this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Old 01-30-2021, 05:25 PM

It could be a loose gas cap triggering the P0446 engine code. I don't know diddly about the Vues. Seems that nowadays it's the most common Saturn with issues on this forum. Derf, Andy and Drop Dead are all pretty knowledgeable about the issues with the Vues and will be of more help concerning the noisy engine. I suspect bad engine mounts, but am NOT A MECHANIC. Clean the gas cap really well along with the filler neck and lube the O-ring on it with some WD-40. That might take care of your engine code. Be patient and you'll get more feedback.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Here is a link to a reasonably thorough explanation of how the EVAP system works on a vehicle and specifically what a p0446 code indicates. Or at least tells the car's computer based on the inputs being received.

https://repairpal.com/obd-ii-code-p0...%20malfunction.

P0446 is an Evaporative System Vent Control Circuit Malfunction
Evap issues very rarely affect drivability of a vehicle. When did this code first appear? Did it come with the vehicle or did it show up 5 to 10 mi after you bought it?

The rough running until warm up could be related to something as simple as oil fouling the spark plugs.

When you pull the plug wire off each plug, is there any oil down in the spark plug well?

Do the valve cover gaskets leak oil?

How many miles are on the vehicle?

​​​​​​It sounds like it may be that the vehicle is running very rough when in open loop mode, where the air fuel mixture and a bunch of other things are not being determined from the many of the car's sensors. Once it goes into closed loop, things like the air fuel mixture are controlled via feedback from the oxygen sensors among other things. However, I would think it would go into closed loop much sooner than the time it takes to get warmed up.

Let's see what the other guys have to say before moving forward. Drop Dead knows more about Vues than I do.

Old 01-31-2021, 11:17 AM

98,000 miles on it, derf. You must have sped read past that in the first post. Any chance it's EGR related?

Old 02-01-2021, 01:37 AM

I dont have emissions so I bypass or ignore evap stuff.
and engine mounts on the v6 are trash from the factory. Every v6 vue ive touched they were all blown. Fill them with hot glue and send it

Old 02-03-2021, 03:43 PM

Thank you for your reply. I tried all of the items you mentioned. However, the problem is still there. I will wait for more responses. Thanks again.