General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Initial Rough Idle ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Default Initial Rough Idle ???

For about the last 8 months my 2000 saturn s 4cyl motor has had a rough idle like it is going to konk out on me. This last for about 5 to 10 seconds and then it runs fine. Sometimes this is intemittend goes away and comes back. The other day it started doing this again and afte about 5 days of it, I went to crank it and it would not do anything. It would turn over fine, but not start. When I would press the gas pedal down all the way it would act like it would try to hit but wouldn't. After I let it sit for a couple hours, I came back and tried again, it initailly wouldn't crank , so I pressed the gas all the way down and it was trying to start and it finally did, and a lot of white smoke came from the exhuast and then it cleared up, and I was back on the road. This morning I went to work and it was a little rough on the initail idle but ran fine till I got off an the interstate exit which was a down ramp and when I stopped, the car cut off on me, but I got it cranked back up and I made it to the parking deck. Im stumped to what it could be. NO codes can be found through Napa checking it for me. I have replace the plugs, wires, fuel filter, cps sensor. Dont know what else to check . By the way, it runs fine onces its on the road and Im not loosing any coolant or oil, and it does not smoke. One thing i did notice was that my temperature guage seems to not be rising up like it used to . I show it on C. Any thought much appreciated.
Thank you

Old 12-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

probable ects failure. Causes air/fuel mix to become too rich.
When the coolant temp sensor fails it usually fails "open" , with the PCM ultimately interpreting that the coolant temp is -40. Hence the overly rich mix.

Leads to anything from high idle, rough idle, hard starting and so on.

Your pedal to the floor is consistent with this since when you do so the PCM shuts off the injectors to allow clearing of a flooding condition.

Replace with an ECTS bought FROM A GM DEALER. REPLACE THE CONNECTOR (GM DEALER)

Old 12-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Old 12-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Banned

Me too, but the big boys beat me to it. For information sake -- parts will cost about $45usd ...