Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

1999 Saturn Rough Intermittent Hard Start/Rough Idle HELP needed PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Default 1999 Saturn Rough Intermittent Hard Start/Rough Idle HELP needed PLEASE

This is my first post here so I would like to first say Hello to all, and Thank You in advance for any time spent to reply.

The car- 1999 Saturn SL with DOHC engine/Manual Trans

The problem- The car has 102k miles on it and recently started this intermittent hard start/rough idle. When this happens it puffs a raw fuel smell out of the exhaust.

The car was due for new spark plugs at 102k they were original. So I replaced them, I also cleaned the throttle body, Cleaned the K&N Air Filter, Replaced the Fuel Filter, switched to Ethanol Free Fuel and the problem still happens.

I know for a fact that the Coolant Thermostat is stuck open and needs replaced still along with needing new coolant.

I have read somewhere that the Coolant Temp Sensor can cause this issue as well. Should I replace the coolant temp sensor and install a new thermostat as well?

I bought the car with 60k miles on it and I am fairly sure that the only repairs to the car so far have been done by me. The car does NOT show any Check Engine Light so I am just guessing and throwing money at it.
I really need help here because I am out of cash and cant afford to take the car to a dealer. I use this car to drive 20 hours round trip to visit my ailing grandparents, without this car I cant afford to make the trips.

Please help........

Last edited by Bobbed06; 02-13-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:45 AM

If the stat is bad and the engine does not come up to operating temp thats not a good thing. The ETCS will cause this sort of problem as stated 1000 times over the last 20 years on Saturn forums. Replace the ETCS and it's connector. Buy both from your local Chevy dealer thats selling SATURN parts. Do not buy from PetesParts&PlumbingSupply. As for the spark plugs be sure to use NGK and only the proper NGK plugs.

Welcome to the Saturn Forum. Go up to the new member area and introduce yourself.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by RjION
If the stat is bad and the engine does not come up to operating temp thats not a good thing. The ETCS will cause this sort of problem as stated 1000 times over the last 20 years on Saturn forums. Replace the ETCS and it's connector. Buy both from your local Chevy dealer thats selling SATURN parts. Do not buy from PetesParts&PlumbingSupply. As for the spark plugs be sure to use NGK and only the proper NGK plugs.

Welcome to the Saturn Forum. Go up to the new member area and introduce yourself.
Yes Sir,
I did replace the spark plugs with NGK plugs and properly gapped them as well.

I will go ahead and replace the ETCS and the Thermostat as well. I will look now for a local dealer for availability.

Is there any resistance checks or voltage check I can do on the ETCS to confirm its problematic before replacement?

Thank You Very Much, I appreciate the knowledge and your time spent to reply.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:58 AM
Banned

+1 goes out to RjION for his wisdom and advice ..........

Also, welcome to Bobbed06 to the Forum .......

Old 02-13-2012, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by OceanArcher
+1 goes out to RjION for his wisdom and advice ..........

Also, welcome to Bobbed06 to the Forum .......
Thank You, I am glad to be here....

Old 02-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Banned

To Bobbed06 --

Yes, you could do a resistance check on the part, but remember, it is a negative varience device ... as the temperature rises, the resistance falls.

Measure before you start the car, and let us know what you read -- oh, and tell us too, what is the temperature of the weather at your place?

Old 02-13-2012, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by OceanArcher
To Bobbed06 --

Yes, you could do a resistance check on the part, but remember, it is a negative varience device ... as the temperature rises, the resistance falls.

Measure before you start the car, and let us know what you read -- oh, and tell us too, what is the temperature of the weather at your place?
OK, I can do that. Yesterday when it happened it was about 50 degrees.

I will not be able to provide a cold resistance measure until late tonight, since I have the car at work and will have to drive it home before I can do the test. Then I will have to let it sit for a few hours to cool off.

I appreciate the help so much. Thank You

Old 02-13-2012, 10:22 AM

I just located a Saturn Dealer and he said that he has both the ECTS Sensor in stock.

ECTS Sensor $18.34

Connector $27.23

Old 02-13-2012, 04:54 PM

Be sure you change the connector with the ETCS is all I have to say.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:47 PM

I will be sure and change the connector also. The car has not had a chance to sit and cool off this evening but it did do the problem again.

It started fine when fully cold after sitting all day at work. Stopped at the store and let it sit for a half hour or so, and sure enough it started rough and idled roughly for about 7-10 seconds.

It starts normally when fully cold, like in the mornings or after work.

I think I will just skip the resistance test and just replace the sensor and connector.

Thank You for your help.

Quick Reply: 1999 Saturn Rough Intermittent Hard Start/Rough Idle HELP needed PLEASE