New to forum

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2022, 10:38 AM
Default New to forum

Hello. I happened upon a 2007 Saturn Vue V6 AWD (front wheel drive at the moment).
It runs beautiful, despite have 201,156 miles on it. I traded some work for the car. It is in pretty good shape, despite learning it hit an "embankment" this past February.
So far, I have replaced the left rear wheel bearing, found the fog lights weren't working because they weren't plugged in, and at the same time found the air deflector just floating in the front of the car blocking air flow through the A/C Condenser and radiator. (Wondering why the A/C works better now stopped at a stoplight on a 95-degree day!)
I took it for an oil CHANGE AND LEARNED THE whole REAR drive SHAFT from the front of the car is missing, and the oil pan has a caliper bolt for a drain plug, and the oil pan is held together with jeld weld!
So, I have a squeak that goes away after it warms up (got to remove the serp belt and see if it's not an idler or something in that path, or water pump).
I'm pretty mech savvy, thinking of doing the timing belt and water pump just because I would feel better doing so if it indeed is not the serp belt or components there.
I have plans to do the drive shaft, but a new is almost $857 from what I have seen thus far, maybe before winter. (I am in North Central MA, lots of snow).
It also is developing some blistering on passenger side at windshield gasket....
Ordered new remotes that I can't seem to program (My drivers lock button only works if I f with it), so programming according to "some" won't seem to work, and not sure if that is problem. Nervous to "jump" terminals on OBDII connector as some have suggested.
Gonna do the oil pan at some point too but want to check out underneath suspension and steering components to see if anything expensive amiss.
I also took off the left headlight assembly and did the 400, 6000, 2500 sand and new clear coat and it came out awesome. (now I also know why right one was new!)
It is no Tahoe or equivalent SUV, but I like it. I actually had a side job one day and needed to pick up several 8-foot boards and they fit right inside with passenger seat folded down!
Thats my story!

Old 07-31-2022, 12:15 PM

You should be able to get a perfectly usable drive shaft from a local salvage yard for a fraction of the new price. I would be wondering though why it is missing in the first place.

Old 08-01-2022, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

I think they get removed when there is a problem with the torque sharing unit, what ever that is called. They work fine as a FWD.

Old 08-02-2022, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Is there an OBDII generic code for missing rear driveshaft or is it a GM specific code?

Old 08-04-2022, 06:46 AM

I learned it was missing when i took it for an oil change. The only code I have is for the stupid gas cap issue seems they all have...
My check engine light goes on and off...

Old 08-04-2022, 07:28 AM

Try cleaning the filler neck on the gas tank where the gas cap screws on. Clean the O-ring on the gas cap and under the gas cap surface too. I use WD-40 to clean mine and then I lubricate the O-ring with the WD-40 and screw it back on and off a few times before making sure it clicks like it's supposed to and then clear the code with my scanner. If it comes back, I do it again.

Old 08-05-2022, 06:15 PM

Im in texas if you need me to go junk yard shopping for yuh. plenty of rust free parts. welcome