Loud inside when starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Air pump ? Doesn't run too long,does it?

Old 01-18-2021, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
Okay, strike that off the list. Maybe some sort of exhaust leak that seals itself after warming up?
I suggested that to the mechanic but he said the flex pipes are in good shape. I just ordered motor mounts. I KNOW they're in bad shape. Also going to replacee swaybar struts.

Old 01-18-2021, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by derf
Air pump ? Doesn't run too long,does it?
hmmmm. The loud noise lasts less than 10 seconds and sounds a lot like a whoopie cushion.

Old 01-19-2021, 04:00 AM
Super Moderator

Have someone else start it.
stand by wherever the air pump is.
Sorry I do not know where it is located under the hood on a Vue.....

​​​​Clogged line or motor bearing?
I would think it would throw a code, but that may only if the ECU detects it is not coming on at all. So if it is fighting, the ECU sees the circuit is closed and there is a 12-volt potential across it so it must be a complete circuit which means everything is just fine..... not

Last edited by derf; 01-20-2021 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:37 AM

I've stood by the noise generating area and had my wife start it, but the noise sounds a lot like a bird in the radiator fan and lasts only seconds and then is gone. If I shut it off and start it again, the noise is not there. I've otdered motor mounts. I know I'm throwing parts at it, but the mounts need replacing anyway.

Old 01-20-2021, 09:31 AM

Have you tried a direct wire to the radiator fan just to see if that's it? Maybe the brushes are just about worn out?

Old 01-20-2021, 12:01 PM

Fans work fine.

Old 01-20-2021, 02:51 PM

Got motor mounts. Removed old top mount. Still good. New top mount didn't fit. But checked all pulleys, pump, idlers, alternator with stethoscope. No unusual noises. Disappointed that motor mounts were good. Put old one back on.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Can you get the car up on a four post lift so you can see it in the air like it sits n the ground? I have a two post lift and while it is great for service and repair work it changes everything for locating noises.

Old 02-02-2021, 03:53 PM

I'm trying to get the right front wheel off but the lug nut s must have been put on with a 1" drive impact wrench. I have one to go. I had to chisel off the cover of the previous one, but on the last one the stupid lug nut cover rounded off, then the lug nut itself rounded off using a proper 6 point socket. Now I'm trying to chisel it off. It's not budging and I have very little left to chisel. I tried to split it but the metal is too soft. These are the worst designed and constructed lug nuts I've seen in 65 years of wrenching!

Quick Reply: Loud inside when starting