Lot of Lights (Trac, ABS, Brake, Tire Pressure)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 12:01 PM
Default Lot of Lights (Trac, ABS, Brake, Tire Pressure)

Hi all. What a fantastic forum. I would greatly appreciate some help on a few issues that have appeared over the last few months on my 2008 Vue XE gas 4cyl. 190K miles. I realize this is pretty long and 3 issues and I would greatly appreciate and help that the forum can provide. Thank You!
  1. 6mos thru current - Tire pressure light sometimes comes on solid, sometimes blinks. Not sure on codes. All tires pressures are good and staying good. Assuming this is pretty much a don't care as long as I monitor. Assuming we might change out next time tires are needed?
  2. 4mos thru current - Red Brake light came on for a bit then went off. Happened a few times. No chimes. Finally the light came on and stayed on. Now I get a chime for about 10 secs upon starting. Brake fluid is full. Disc and recon brake fluid switch in reservoir. Seems good. Had front rotors replaced recently. Inspected all 4 wheels with no indication of fluid leaks anywhere. Likely a bad parking brake switch? If so, how do I get to it to inspect/replace?
  3. 6ms ago and then 3 mos ago thru current - ABS & Trac control lights came on for a bit, then went off. Did this several times over 3 months. Now they are on solid. Shop who recently replaced front rotors pulled the codes and said it indicated both rear ABS sensors were bad. Way too coincidental so I'm thinking perhaps a bad WSS/ABS harness? Was a local Goodyear place so who knows what they know. Thoughts? If so, where could I get a reasonably priced one harness? If it's cheap enough and you think it's the likely culprit, I'll just replace it as opposed to inspect/test. Spent a lot of time online looking (places like Rock Auto) and can't find one. Would this be it? https://www.carid.com/acdelco/gm-ori...25949556.html? Saw what I think is on one ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-25949556...IAAOSwZapdNxCG

Old 01-26-2020, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

Hi.

Can't address all of them so here's my take for the ones I can.

TPMS:

Have you have checked pressure in spare tire? Most vehicles these days come with a TPMS sensor in the spare tire. Don't know if that was the case for Saturn at the end but worth a try. It would explain why it would be blinking as the pressure dropped and then go solid when it was below pressure.

Have you tried reprogramming the TPMS? This will reassociate each sensor with the correct tire. And if there is any funny stuff in the TPMS module going on , that sold get corrected when we get things cleared out.

With a capable scanner, not code reader, you should be able to read any TPMS module codes.

Brake light.

The 2nd gen Vues suffered from brake system issues. Power boosters filling up w brake fluid, lines corroding from the inside out, bad master cyls...

Typically the triggers for the brake light are low fluid level and brake switch. Be sure to check the wiring, contacts, and the connector very carefully..

If you have pulled the master cylinder, make sure the connection at the booster is properly adjusted and that the check valve is functioning properly.

it is possible your reservoir level sensor itself is bad.

If it chimes angrily at startup, how do you know if it is from the brake light or the abs/Trac lights?

You will almost always get a trac light with your abs light as Trac depends on abs.
-------++++++
Have someone with a full scanner read the codes for all modules and post the codes -----not what someone tells you the codes mean. We will try to help you sort it out.

Hopefully this car's computer can read the status of the fluid reservoir (brake). Ask for that one.

And be sure up front that these people will give you the actual codes they read. Some people will charge you diagnostic fees, diagnose the car, then refused to give you the actual codes for your money. they think this will force you into having them fix it as opposed to spending $100 and walking away. So ask up front for the alphanumeric codes before you put your money down.

Also with that many miles on the car, a few ABS sensors going in the badd is not out of the norm. Might have been one flaking out then the other not both at the exact same time.....

Last edited by derf; 01-26-2020 at 06:04 AM.