Cruching sound right front first few miles when cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 06:14 PM
Default Cruching sound right front first few miles when cold

Put it on lift at Jiffy Lube repair and they could find nothing wrong! Some clunking on bumps when warmed up, but crunching (like metal cans) only for first few miles. No problem with CV joints. 3.5 2008 AWD

Old 01-16-2021, 07:42 PM

Jiffy Lube? Pardon my cynicism, but I don't associate Jiffy Lube with having qualified automotive mechanics. For the wages they pay, I don't think they attract the type of person experienced in front suspensions, steering systems, drive trains, motor mounts, etc. At best, their 'mechanics' can find a drain plug and a filler cap, and can point at various other reservoirs to upsell transmission flushes, brake flushes, power steering flushes, etc.

In all honesty, I have never availed myself of Jiffy Lube services, but I 'have heard' of their sometimes shady practices. I think they have a valid business in oil changes for mechanically challenged patrons, but would strongly advise anyone to consult a qualified mechanic before having any additional work done there.

If you have strange noises coming from your vehicle, and you're serious about finding it and getting it fixed, take it to a qualified mechanic who stands behind his work, and pay him for his experience. A reputable shop will warranty their work.

Old 01-16-2021, 08:28 PM

I'll pardon your cynicism, but this Jiffy Lube is a full-service garage. I'm beginning to suspect the AWD unit, as the noise stopped when I took it into the grass and floored it to engage th rear axle,

Originally Posted by oldmarine
Jiffy Lube? Pardon my cynicism, but I don't associate Jiffy Lube with having qualified automotive mechanics. For the wages they pay, I don't think they attract the type of person experienced in front suspensions, steering systems, drive trains, motor mounts, etc. At best, their 'mechanics' can find a drain plug and a filler cap, and can point at various other reservoirs to upsell transmission flushes, brake flushes, power steering flushes, etc.

In all honesty, I have never availed myself of Jiffy Lube services, but I 'have heard' of their sometimes shady practices. I think they have a valid business in oil changes for mechanically challenged patrons, but would strongly advise anyone to consult a qualified mechanic before having any additional work done there.

If you have strange noises coming from your vehicle, and you're serious about finding it and getting it fixed, take it to a qualified mechanic who stands behind his work, and pay him for his experience. A reputable shop will warranty their work.

Old 01-16-2021, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

???
It's full-time all wheel drive.

No need to wreck the lawn.

Also please do not post the same issue as a part of two different threads. Thank you.
?

Last edited by derf; 01-17-2021 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:15 PM

The full time all wheel drive works by a pump that raises pressure when the rear wheels are going slower than the front. That engages the differentail rear clutch. The only "full-time" thing about it is automatic engagement. Or so saturn said.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Thank you, sir.

I am thoroughly unversed in most things AWD.
So it automatically engages as necessary but is not always engaged.... interesting.

Any idea if this is how Ford does what they call 4WD on the 2013-19 Escapes?

It used to be much easier sort out what AWD, 4WD, etc, meant. I appreciate that technology has moved forward, but it seems the differentiation between the functionality and the moniker has become quite blurred....

Old 01-17-2021, 08:45 AM

I'd suspect a bearing going dry somewhere, but I don't know squat about AWD and I'm NOT a mechanic. I'll withhold any comment about Jiffy Lube based on past experience with them.

Old 01-17-2021, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by derf
Thank you, sir.

I am thoroughly unversed in most things AWD.
So it automatically engages as necessary but is not always engaged.... interesting.

Any idea if this is how Ford does what they call 4WD on the 2013-19 Escapes?

It used to be much easier sort out what AWD, 4WD, etc, meant. I appreciate that technology has moved forward, but it seems the differentiation between the functionality and the moniker has become quite blurred....

there are a number of different all wheel drive systems today, most controlled by computer and ABS system. I understand that the Saturn system is unique in its simplicity.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
I'd suspect a bearing going dry somewhere, but I don't know squat about AWD and I'm NOT a mechanic. I'll withhold any comment about Jiffy Lube based on past experience with them.
I'm suspecting the carrier bearing on the longitudinal driveshaft.

Old 01-18-2021, 08:48 AM

You could be right. What part of AL are you in? I just moved to Anniston back in November. Love it, so far. Absolutely beautiful part of the state.

Quick Reply: Cruching sound right front first few miles when cold