check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 12:29 AM
Default check engine light

Hi, my newly purchased 2004 Vue's check engine light went on. Took it to local garage was told was misfiring on all cylinders. Mechanic said most likely needs a tune up. It's running fine. So, he said first step was to replace spark plugs. Had that done, light is back on next day. Asking some advice, think he said coils next? Help!

Old 08-07-2020, 03:23 AM

Either the cassette coil pack or injectors.
if you need either I have both ready to ship

Old 08-07-2020, 03:29 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Doozy
Hi, my newly purchased 2004 Vue's check engine light went on. Took it to local garage was told was misfiring on all cylinders. Mechanic said most likely needs a tune up. It's running fine. So, he said first step was to replace spark plugs. Had that done, light is back on next day. Asking some advice, think he said coils next? Help!
Advice:

1. Find a mechanic that's worked on Saturn's.
This person will nickel and dime you through $500 of tune-up parts and labor by thowing parts at it until the light doesn't come on.

As opposed to reading the codes and addressing them logically with only the parts need.

What engine is in the vehicle.?
Which tranny?

2. Go to AutoZone or similar and get codes read for free. Post the codes here as Pxxxx where x is a number. We need the codes, not the description of the codes. For example, there is prob a P0300 set for the misfiring he mentioned. It means there are misfires on more than one cyl but it can't figure out which.

We will do our best to sort things out.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:26 AM
Default check engine

Thanks, I ordered a scan tool. I will do my best to get the codes. It has a Honda engine in it. V6 The AutoZone around here won't check it for us here since the Covid thing.
Originally Posted by derf
Advice:

1. Find a mechanic that's worked on Saturn's.
This person will nickel and dime you through $500 of tune-up parts and labor by thowing parts at it until the light doesn't come on.

As opposed to reading the codes and addressing them logically with only the parts need.

What engine is in the vehicle.?
Which tranny?

2. Go to AutoZone or similar and get codes read for free. Post the codes here as Pxxxx where x is a number. We need the codes, not the description of the codes. For example, there is prob a P0300 set for the misfiring he mentioned. It means there are misfires on more than one cyl but it can't figure out which.

We will do our best to sort things out.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by DropDead
Either the cassette coil pack or injectors.
if you need either I have both ready to ship
Good to know! Thanks

Old 08-07-2020, 07:33 AM

I don't know where you live, but where I am, the Autozone will let you borrow their code scanner and use it. Once it's done downloading the codes, they'll look at it and tell you what they could possibly be. I'd just ask for a print out and DON'T buy anything they suggest without doing some testing/trouble shooting first. I don't recommend buying ANY sensors at the Zone because they're generic. Use OEM parts for best results.

Old 08-08-2020, 02:37 PM

Scan codes. Got my scan tool. It's telling me replace coils. Codes P0301, 2,3,4,5,6. Misfire detected.
It's a 2004 Vue redline so it has Honda 3.5liter V6 engine

Old 08-09-2020, 08:43 AM

Seems odd that all the coils would be bad

Old 08-09-2020, 09:10 AM

I don't know a lot about this Vue. Posting what the scan tool told me. The mechanic I took it to told me he was going to replace the plugs first because the codes were not specific. That's why I'm on here, looking for some wisdom from you guys!

Old 08-09-2020, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

I would drive it some before throwing money at it. You report it runs fine and you are concerned due to the check engine light not by poor running. Let us know how many miles on the car and do you have any repair history from a previous owner?

Quick Reply: check engine light