Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 09:11 PM
Angry Battery Drain

I have a 2008 Vue XE that is hard on the battery. I have had to put a kill switch on the car so I can disconnect the battery when I'm not driving.
What is the best battery to purchase for this vehicle?

Old 04-29-2024, 09:44 PM

If you have significant parasitic draw it makes no difference you need to fix the excess draw.

Old 04-30-2024, 12:38 AM

Thanks for the reply, the problem is finding the draw. I have been unsuccessful at tracking down the source.

Old 04-30-2024, 07:17 PM

So you did what? Pull all the fuses in the under hood fuse block?

Old 05-01-2024, 10:08 AM

I took it to several mechanics because I'm not one. I'm just a girl. I have an appointment with another on Thursday for more testing.
I have a kill switch on the battery so I can just pull it when I'm not driving, but I hate it. I'll get back to you after my appointment and another new battery.

Old 05-01-2024, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sea Foam Green
I took it to several mechanics because I'm not one. I'm just a girl. I have an appointment with another on Thursday for more testing.
I have a kill switch on the battery so I can just pull it when I'm not driving, but I hate it. I'll get back to you after my appointment and another new battery.
Make sure they can do electrical.

Old 05-01-2024, 01:13 PM

Thanks, I will.

Old 05-01-2024, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

How long does it take the battery to "go dead" without the kill switch? 2 hours, 4 hours, overnight? May shed some light on what in the vehicle would draw that much current per unit time.

Maybe something like the glovebox light is getting left on when the box is closed because the spring loaded switch that gets closed when that door closes has failed...... Many cars are designed to turn off volunteer lights if doors, trunks, glove boxes or left open for x amount of time. Don't know if this vehicle is one of them.

Old 05-01-2024, 11:01 PM

Thanks for your tips, Derf. If I drive the car every day, it's all right. It used to last 3 or 4 days, but now it's overnight. I'm pretty sure I'll need a new battery even if the mechanic can figure out what is causing the draw. I know it has died more than a couple of times since it was purchased. So, I'll let you know sometime tomorrow or on Friday when I hear back from him. I plan to drop it off and let him have it overnight.

Old 05-01-2024, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Has it ever lasted more than three or four days since you got the car?

If the answer is this is the battery that came with the car, then you may simply just need a new battery. However if this is not the battery that came with the car, bets are off

Quick Reply: Battery Drain