2009 Saturn Vue need troubleshooting help with issues with Traction Control

Old 03-04-2018, 06:59 PM
GLD
Default 2009 Saturn Vue need troubleshooting help with issues with Traction Control

My daughter has a 2009 Saturn Vue hybrid with the 4 cylinder engine.

It had intermittently displayed that the Stabilitrak System was off, then the service Traction Control warning light would come on and eventually the check engine light would blink for a while and then stay on and it recorded a P0014 code.

She had both the intake and exhaust solenoids replaced by a local mechanic which seemed to correct the problem for a while but it has returned.

The car seems to run well until the warning lights come on and then it "lurches".

There was also one time when it seemed to "grunt" just before starting but that may be an unrelated problem.

She is in Palo Alto, California and we would appreciate whatever help anyone might be able to give us.
Thanks!

Old 03-04-2018, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. My first question is how often the car is serviced and is the correct oil being used? Variable cam timing engines are critical on oil change frequency and using the correct oil. Too thick oil or dirty due to lack of maintenance are the biggest causes of failures of this kind.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:15 AM
GLD

Thanks for your reply, that’s helpful information.
The first time the code came up, the engine was low on oil after a long trip but it had been regularly maintained prior to that and it ran well after the addition of the oil for a while until it again displayed the same code and the solenoid repairs were made.
The car is driven very infrequently and for short distances (basically to the grocery store once a week) and for a few longer additional trips monthly or so.
Perhaps the oil needs to be changed more frequently than the mileage would indicate. I’m not sure what type of oil the mechanic is using. Is there a type of oil that you would recommend?
Do you know of anything else that she might do to help maintain the car? I would imagine it is hard for it to sit for long periods but am not sure if that is the major factor here.
Thanks for your help!

Old 03-05-2018, 07:38 AM

I don't know if it's related or not, but I had a 2007 Chevy Equinox with a V-6 that had both of those lights come on. I replaced the EGR valve and it never came back. What the hell an EGR has to do with the stabilitrack or traction control has NEVER been explained to me. I unloaded that piece of crap and got an awesome 2013 Chrysler 200.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

On low use cars the oil needs to by changed by time not miles, at least once a year. My L200 is a 2.2 liter 4 cylinder also and it uses 5w30 oil. My car does not have variable cam timing so your car may use thinner oil like 5w20. I would use synthetic oil or at least a synthetic blend. Look in the owner’s manual for the manufacturer’s recommendation.

I am not sure how your traction control system functions. It is possible that the engine issues are causing all your problems.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:47 PM
GLD

Thanks,
It seems that we were mistaken and the mechanic only replaced the exhaust solenoid the first time so he replaced the intake solenoid yesterday and that, at least so far, solved the issues. Fingers crossed!
We also had her check on the oil and it has been replaced at least annually with a partial synthetic and she will upgrade next time it is done.
And if this doesn’t solve things, we will have them check the EGR valve just in case.
We appreciate the advice!