2009 Saturn Vue Hybrid Air Conditioner Problem

Old 05-18-2015, 09:40 PM
Banned
Default 2009 Saturn Vue Hybrid Air Conditioner Problem

Need some advice concerning my air conditioner in my 2009 Vue Hybrid. My mechanic told me today that my compressor was shot and needed replaced. He stated that you can no longer purchase original equipment compressors. My two options were install a refurbished compressor (which he did not recommend) or Saturn has redesigned the 2009 air compressor and suggests a completely different compressor which requires rework of hoses and belts. He estimated parts alone would be $1,000 plus. I got online and checked out a few supply houses and I found a number warehouses that stated the compressor with clutch they stocked were equal to original equipment and no rework of hoses or belts were required. Has anyone had any experience with this situation? I appreciate all feedback.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Here are examples of the OEM compressors. They are still available.
For future reference roclauto.com is an awesome place for parts, period.

Link to genuine OEM GM A/C Compressor w clutch , 2009 Vue Hybrid

Genuine*GM 20879911 | COMPRESSOR for 2009 Saturn Vue | GMPartsOutlet.net

Part Number: 20879911
Cost $308.11 (no core charge)

too expensive !!!

listed as GM Orig Equipment

ACDELCO Part # 1522189 {#20879911} GM Original Equipment
A/C AUTO ELEC CONT(C68); INCLUDES CLUTCH

Link to OEM GM A/C Compressor w clutch , 2009 Vue Hybrid

More Information for ACDELCO 1522189

ACDELCO Part # 1522189 { GM Part # 20879911}
Price: $209.79 ( no core charge)

There is a more modern compressor design out there (CVC)--Compact Variable Compressors. They are more expensive, and of course were not available in 2009 -- but manufacturers are designing replacement parts for both new and late model vehicles to meet demand.

rockauto.com

FOUR SEASONS Part # 98293 Compressor w/ Clutch
w/ CVC Compressor

Link to product above
More Information for FOUR SEASONS 98293

Cost:$314.79 (no core chg)

If you cycle through the pictures of each compressor, they appear to be identical on the outside --which they better be if they are being sold as a fit for your vehicle.

I am not a mechanic nor an HVAC expert, but I see no obvious need for redoing hosing and the likes. It appears to be plug n play w r t fit.

NOTE: The manufacturers are very strict on warranty claims, requiring certain parts to be replaced and a system cleaning to be performed before compressor installation.

So, in short (lol) -- your mechanic
1) lied to you about OEM stock availability (if rockauto says they have it, they do (in my experience)
2) Lied about the hoses and belts needing rework. How are you going to rework a serpentine belt that must stay lined up with the rest of the pullies/etc in the system....
3)Saturn didn't redesign anything since it no longer exists. I think he meant GM's suppliers have redesigned the compressors, per statements above.

I see you caught in a bind here --- your cost for parts is at or above $500 if you replace receiver/dryer, condenser -- which - if your compressor did blow up, it likely expelled shrapnel throughout the system and condenser passages are difficult to clean so replace it, and new thermal expansion valve.

If you tell him everything he told you was untruthful, he'll prob flip you off and walk away. If you let him do the work, he's marking up 100% on parts. The guy has to make money I understand, but 100%?

Then comes labor and refrigerant
You may be able to find a shop that will allow you to bring them the parts to install and only charge you labor+ Refrig. This is not the norm but does save you, the customer some $$ espec on a high $$ job like this.

Last edited by derf; 05-27-2015 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:56 AM
Banned
Default Hybrid Air Conditioner Problem

derf,

Thank You so much for your response and the time you put into providing me with pertinent technical information. Its a sad day when you lose confidence in a mechanic that you have trusted for so long.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Parts estimate should be closer to $600-$650.
There is a chance he actually does NOT know and is making assumptions based on the death of Saturn. Especially if he does not work on alot of Saturns.

If you've had that long of a working relationship, he may be a bit behind on the latest technology and is quoting you high to cover himself.

And he may not have installed many CVC compressors to know that they do not (to the best of my knowledge) require re-plumbing.....

You might want to test the waters and tell him you found a compatible CVC compressor online. Once he hears this, he'll know you know it's available (and that you know what it costs). He'll either backtrack, do a little more research and maybe requote you once he finds he CAN get the parts or he'll take it as an affront that you are questioning him. Just tell him you're trying to better understand and learn the technology under the hood.

I would give him a second chance.

And please do not point him to this post. point him to rockauto.com.
W the exception of the CVC compressor, I'd prob pay the extra to go w the higher quality parts where it's not absurdly different in price.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:21 AM
Banned

derf,

Thanks for that sound advise. Everyone deserves a second chance especially if they have been solid and reliable for so long. And no worries about mechanic seeing the replies of from this post. It is for my edification only. He asked for a few days to research the problem in more detail. I will let you know it turns out.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

well, his research will turn up with this post, so:

Mechanic dude: Not trying to separate you from your customer. Just trying to let them know the technical aspects of the situation and the DIY parts cost. I suppose you must have been estimating when put on the spot without the background info. Now you're digging in for a detailed look as any honest mechanic would. Nice to see.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

outcome, vuehybrid?

(you need to get your post count up for your account to stay active.....)