2008 Saturn VUE XE won't shift

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 06:26 PM
Default 2008 Saturn VUE XE won't shift

My Vue will not shift gears. It's suddenly lost all power & can't really go over 30 mph. The RPMs shoot up at low speeds. I took it to the mechanic with warranty info and they said there were 42 error codes. They believe it's an issue with the transmission control module or the wiring and my warranty will not cover this. I'll find out the price tomorrow but I'm sure it will be *at least 1000$.
I love the car, but I don't want to pay more than it's worth in repairs and I don't want the mechanic to screw me as I am a single woman.
Any and all info on VUE transmission problems or advice is much needed..
Thanks!

Old 04-14-2021, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator

From your description, it sounds like you have the XE V6 with the 6T70 GM transmission.

These transmissions were manufactured improperly in 2008 and a part called a wave plate is subject to failure.

This is referred to as the 3,5,R wave plate issue.

PIP4627A – 35R clutch wave plate broken – 6T70 Transmission | 6T75 Transmission
2007 – 2009 Saturn Aura – 2007 – 2009 Saturn Outlook – 2008 – 2009 Saturn Vue – 2007 – 2009 GMC Acadia – 2007 – 2009 Pontiac G5 – 2008 – 2009 Pontiac Torrent – 2008 – 2009 Buick Enclave – 2008 – 2009 Chevrolet Equinox – 2008 – 2009 Chevrolet Malibu – 2009 Chevrolet Traverse
Problem – On vehicles equipped with the 3.6L V6 and 6-speed automatic transmission, drivers may experience no reverse, slipping, and/or harsh shifting between 3rd-5th gears. They may also have diagnostic trouble codes P0776 and P0842. This condition is typically caused by a broken 35R clutch wave plate

GM offered extended coverage of 10 yrs/120k so that is why the mechanic is saying "the warranty won't cover it. The factory warranty.

However, If you have any type of extended powertrain warranty still effective, it should be covered. Most failures occurred at about 100 to 120 k. Hence GM capping the coverage at 120K.

To repair your existing transmission is about $3000 $4000 parts + labor. Most of the transmission must be disassembled to replace the broken part, then put back together.

42 codes? I call BS. If the service engine soon light was not on before this, you have at most 3 codes, or the rest are false codes triggered because the failure of one part sets off a chain reaction. A sets code. B is set because A is wonky. C, D, E, F set because B and A are set........The # of codes doesn't matter b c everyone knows the symptoms and the cure.

5 choices
1). Pay to have this transmission repaired.
Estimated cost $3500

2) purchase a rebuilt (remanufactured, NOT refurbished) 6T70 whose wave plate has been replaced and have it installed.
Approximate cost: $2-3000 for high quality rebuild, less for others, probably $2k. Plus labor=?? For the swap.

3) purchase a known functional transmission from a wrecking yard where you are certain the transmission is not what brought it there.
Approximate cost:. $800 1000? + Labor
4) sell as is to someone that needs the engine
5) say goodbye
if I have guessed right xe v6 awd
Mileage 144000

Kbb good condition trade-in would have been 2200 to 3100, but damaged transmission wrecks that.
Private party sale 3200 4500 but again tranny wrecks that.

So any option other than used as is transmission will cost you more than the vehicle is worth.

Depends on overall condition of vehicle if you think you can put a used tranny in it and turn a profit. Or get some kind of decent trade in.

Seems like a wash unless the rest is in tip top shape.

If you do repair it, I would sell sooner rather than later as this year vue typically develops strange brake issues as it ages.

In the meantime, it's the 3-4 5-6 and N to R shifts that are messed. If you have tapshift you can manually switch from to 1- 2, 2-4 4-6. You will lose reverse so mind how you park it.
​​​​​​

Old 04-14-2021, 03:17 AM

Well I have about 20,000 miles left on the warranty I got when I purchased from the used car dealership and that is who the mechanic called. He said they won't cover bad wiring or modules..But I do believe my warranty will cover transmission replacement as far as I read in the contract. It is called powertrain if I remember it right but that's what confuses me. I have no affiliation with Saturn factory warranty since I brought it used..

Old 04-14-2021, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Get away from the mechanic you are with now. He does not know what the problem is. All he is doing is lessening the chances of you being reimbursed through your warranty company which is apparently associated with the dealer from which you bought the vehicle.

Review my answer please. What I speak of has nothing to do with wiring or control modules. It is a physical defect internal to the transmission. The fact that Saturn no longer covers it or should I say GM is completely irrelevant if you have a powertrain warranty from the used car dealership.

You have 20K miles left on a power train warranty you got when you purchased the vehicle used. What about the time elapsed? Meaning it is usually something like 3 years or 36,000 miles whichever comes first. You are within the mileage. Are you still within the time coverage?

Powertrain coverage most definitely includes the transmission, and for someone to say your warranty doesn't cover modules inside the transmission yet to be determined nor wiring with those modules yet to be determined is BS.

Go pull your warranty and make sure you are within mileage and time limits.

Once you have confirmed you are, find out specifically what is covered for the transmission. While it is possible they exclude certain parts, I severely doubt that this would be one of them.

No one wants to cover this repair. They will fight you. But if it's in the warranty, legally they must honor it.

If your vehicle is definitely under warranty (mileage and time).......
The best $100 you can spend is getting a Chevrolet dealer service department to officially diagnose the problem in writing for a diagnostic fee. Any warranty company trying to dispute the diagnosis is then arguing against the manufacturer of the vehicle if they are trying to put up a fight. Don't let them fix it, just diagnose it. They will tell you it can fail at any moment and that is true. That would also be true if you did not stop by for a diagnosis so ignore them on that.

With the diagnosis from Chevrolet / GM in hand, contact the warranty company and send them a copy of the diagnosis. Check with the warranty company to make sure you choose an approved facility for the repairs. If your current mechanic is one of them, find another. I have a feeling the powertrain warranty is backed by this used car dealership, they know exactly what the problem is, and they are trying to weasel their way out of it.

You will not let them. You will not give up. You are in the right.

Make sure they put in at least a remanufactured transmission. This should ensure that you do not have the same problem again. It's the less expensive option between remanufactured and a complete teardown and replacement as mentioned in my first post.

The torque converter is usually replaced with the transmission in this repair because particles of metal can get carried in the transmission fluid into the torque converter, damaging it. Be sure to demand that as well.

Get the claim approved in writing with the warranty company and an official estimate approved before the work starts. If the warranty repair place wants one of their facilities to diagnose it, go ahead and let them. If they come out with something different, they are lying or simply incompetent. This is why it is critical to get your claim approved before you start the repairs.

Throw around the term 3 5 R wave plate failure. People with knowledge are usually much more difficult to screw over.

And please check the fine print in your warranty document before setting out on this journey.

Please post back with updates.

Do not be bullied, intimidated, or frightened by whatever horrible things they say will happen if you drive off their lot. Just drive conservatively so as not to do more damage. And do not tell your current mechanic that you are going to a GM dealership. None of his business

Old 04-16-2021, 10:24 AM

I've read this too late. Ok wow.
I called the mechanic today and they told me the new control module has already been installed and now they are working on reprogramming it. Should be done today. I figured the best I can do now is immediately test the car before I pay for the service to make sure it's shifting gears and driving right. If not I will offer to pay for parts only and not labor, but at nearly 900$ I expect it to run properly. Since they've already started I can't do much else...
My warranty company says they only pay for internal transmission parts and the ECM is located on the outside. I don't know what this is, but I looked it up to confirm, so they will not cover this repair.
Either way, I'm going to take it to the chevy dealer and explain what you've told me and have them diagnose then call my warranty with the paperwork. The 20,000 will come first since I have more than a year left on the warranty if we go off 36 months...
Ill do more research on the 3 5 R Wave Plate before I go to the dealer as well.

Old 04-16-2021, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

When presented with the official quote for your repair, did you give verbal permission for them to begin?

Alternatively, when you first dropped the vehicle off, which box did you initial on the paperwork? The box where you specify a dollar amount above which they must request your permission to continue, or the box that gives them free will to work on the vehicle without contacting you for further approval?

If you initialed the box that allows you to put in a dollar amount, and you did, and they exceeded that amount without contacting you, they continue to work without your permission and you owe them at most only up to the amount you entered.

If you initial the box that allows them free reign over what can be done to repair the vehicle without further approval from you, you are at their Mercy regarding the parts installed and labor costs for the repair. For any potentially expensive repair, I always initial the box and put it in a dollar amount. It is legally binding and keeps me from getting screwed once they have supposedly diagnosed the issue.

The exception to being responsible for parts and labor of what they did if you did not specify a dollar value as described above is if the work did not address the problem you brought the vehicle in for.

Therefore I would not offer to pay a dime if the vehicle does not drive and shift perfectly. You are under no obligation to pay them for parts and services rendered which did not fix the vehicle's specific problem as described. Indeed, go on a lengthy test drive. Leave them something as collateral if they think you are trying to skip out on the bill. Better yet, take a tech with you on the drive.

If it drives fine, ask them to scan for codes after the test drive and show you the before and after. AFTER the test drive that runs through all the gears.

If it is code free and dives well then I am wrong as to the source of the problem and you get to pay and leave. But not before a post drive scan. If it is still throwing transmission codes then they have potentially not fixed the issue.

As for the location of the transmission control module, these people are full of crap. Please see the attached screenshot which clearly indicates, as for many other vehicles, the TCM is located inside the transmission. The newer technology can be difficult to troubleshoot to the individual component level but it can be done. However it is much more financially lucrative to replace the entire module, which in this case is incorporated into what is called the valve body which controls transmission fluid pressures and shifting. So I'd sooner charge you $900 for a module I can pull out, swap in a new one, and program it to work in your vehicle. Profit on parts, profit on labor.. you cannot swap in a used TCM due to the way these electronics are built today. Apparently you can only program a blank TCM which has either been refurbished and wiped clean or use a brand new one. I'm sure it is physically possible but the dealer is the only person who has the ability to do it and they will not as it takes money out of their own pocket.

6T70 description.

So if they did replace it then it is covered.

You mentioned ECM. That is engine control module and it does not control your transmission although it does exchange information back and forth to the transmission control module to decide when to shift. It is highly unlikely that there would be a need to replace the ECM for such a problem. That is usually located under the hood or inside the dash and is part of the powertrain as far as I'm concerned since the car cannot run without it.

When you go to the Chevy dealership, do not mention three five R wave plate. Let them independently diagnosed the vehicle. Not sure if they will be able to see the historical codes supposedly read by the current shop, so get a list from the current shop before handing them a dime. Keep it with you when you go to the Chevy dealership.

If you are wondering why I seem so invested in someone else's transmission problem, it is because I sense dishonesty is in play and it is not a $20 issue. The vast majority of mechanics are honest upstanding people. It is the ones that are not that must prompt you to thoroughly evaluate situation and seek where appropriate the advice of others.

Also ask them for the TCM module they pulled out. By law they are required to give it to you. Tell them to get it out of the dumpster if they have to. Otherwise, you may claim rightfully that it was never replaced since they can't provide you with the part that was in your vehicle.

Maintain your cool when interacting with all the people involved. I'm taking the time to share this information because knowledge is power and the only way to beat dishonesty is to demonstrate the knowledge required to prove things are not as they have been presented.

A cool head may get listened to. A ranting raving screaming person gets ignored and tuned out.

I am still confused as to why the mechanic would lie to you about where the TCM is located on the information is freely available on the internet unless there is some kickback between the used car place and the mechanic for discouraging and preventing legitimate warranty claims.

The website that I took the screenshot from is

https://www.transmissionrepaircostgu...he%20new%20one.

It is highly informational in most respects but is clearly written by someone who sells the replacement part as they imply that you must replace the entire part instead of just the subpart that is defective.

Good luck and check back to let us know how it is gioing. And check your paperwork to see what you authorized and what you did not. This is absolutely critical. See if you can read the fine print in your warranty to see if it explicitly States that the transmission control module is covered. Without it the transmission does not work and it is usually internal to the transmission so that it can be cooled by the fluid. It would otherwise overheat and melt down. This TCM must be internal as it is integrated into the valve body. No argument whatsoever possible.

Dishonest people sometimes get a little too cocky when they choose their mark. They do not expect people will do any background research if they don't display any technical savvy behavior when dropping the vehicle off.

As I stated, knowledge is power. And now they have no idea that someone has provided you enough knowledge to catch them red-handed if they are in fact being dishonest. When they start to change their story please be sure to write down while standing in front of them word for word exactly what they say as they will likely be panicking which will cause them to lie yet again. You can then use that against them as well.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

And so the outcome was.......?

Old 04-26-2021, 03:56 AM
Super Moderator

So does it work?
where'd you go?
Please post the final resolution if there is one.