08-09 Vue Trans Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 11:16 AM
Default 08-09 Vue Trans Problem

Just curious but at what mileage did members have the wave plate problem. I have a 09 with 165000 and still runs good. Must be just lucky so far

Old 03-28-2019, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

08 Vue XR, 93 K. 6T70.

I would think it's probably related to the type of driving ( city stop n go vs Highways... essentially the number of 2-3, 4-5 and park to reverse shifts.

Are you sure you have a 6T70 or 75?

Oops you said you had an Outlook not a Vue.
I do believe all of those are 6T75.

Too lazy to look it up right now. But here's your first data point.

Old 03-28-2019, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

No, you said you had a Vue.
And you even posted in the Vue section.
Other forum members can vouch for my inexplicable cluelessness at times. Or most of the time, depending on who you ask.

I was reading about an Outlook with the 6T75 and got confused because I am getting older and disoriented. Apologies.

If it is a Vue XE front wheel drive it may not have the 6T70 transmission. I don't think they used that with the 2.2 ecotec. But I don't know that for a fact without looking it up which I'm still too lazy to do right now. Wikipedia has a pretty good entry for the Saturn vues and which tranny went with what flavor.

I believe the xr always came with the six cylinder and the 6T70.
Oh hell, I'm going to think about it until I look it up. I'll be back.

Last edited by derf; 03-28-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Okay, the base model and I believe the XE use the 2.4 l ecotech not the 2.2, mated with a 4-speed automatic transmission, whereas the XR had a v6 mated with a 6T70.

So if you have a 4-cylinder, you have a 4 speed Auto tranny and therefore you should not experience the wave plate issue. Here's hoping you do..... Have a four cylinder that is...

Old 03-28-2019, 07:37 PM

Sorry need to add my Vue is XE 3.5L AWD

Old 03-29-2019, 01:21 AM
Super Moderator

Mostly stop n go or highway driving?

Old 03-29-2019, 08:23 AM

Highway driving mostly. I am a careful driver never abuse any of my cars always done the standard maintenance

Old 03-29-2019, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

You have many fewer shifts using that clutch pack for 3 and probably R than those that drive in the city. I suspect that is the key to the longevity of your transmission.

We used to have a transmission expert/was his occupation on the forum. he said that if you have never changed your transmission fluid and it gets up past more than 75000 Miles to just leave it alone. In fact you said many shops, if you tell them the fluid has never been changed and the mileage is much above 75k, they will politely decline to work on your vehicle. He said the reasoning is that with fluid that old there are bound to be little bits of seals and other debris and that it may actually be some of that debris that is keeping the transmission functional in the sense that it is sealing up leaks in the internal channels thereby keeping the necessary pressures what they need to be. Change the fluid and flush the transmission and all that stuff is gone and frequently you will have many problems you never had before and there isn't much way to fix them other than a rebuild.

You said you do all the scheduled maintenance, and these transmissions I believe we're sealed for life so to speak. If you changed at 100,000 miles, my two cents is to leave it alone going forward.

The unfortunate part is that he really don't get much of a warning. You'll feel a slight slight flair usually in 5th gear if I remember correctly. Then it quickly spreads 2/3 and the flares get pretty noticeable. So it would be difficult to trade in the car without the problem being noticed. Not that I am implying you should be dishonest, only that you would want to trade in a car with as few obvious problems as possible

Just keep doing what you're doing. GM's additional warranty coverage went to a hundred and twenty thousand miles.that tells me they expect about half of them to go before 120k and the other half afterwards because Lord knows GM will not stand behind its product 100%. They are half-*** about everything. Hence the 50%

Old 03-29-2019, 06:39 PM

Last trans fluid was a drain and fill at about 90000 mi. That was the second one done. The first was at 50000mi. Since its paid for and not worth much I plan to drive till it fails then get a rebuilt trans.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Hell, by then you could probably pick up a freshly wrecked Vue of that vintage with an already rebuilt tranny for the same cost of a freshly rebuilt one. And depending on the trim level it could serve as an infinite parts car....

Quick Reply: 08-09 Vue Trans Problem