2005 V6 AWD transmission issues and codes.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2022, 06:37 PM
Default 2005 V6 AWD transmission issues and codes.

Posts: 5 2005 v6 Saturn Vue transmission issues.So it started giving code P0741 -torque converter clutch circuit performance/stuck off and had power issues(not clear on the details as I wasn’t driving the vehicle). I drove the vehicle later with no issues for about 5 miles of town driving up to 55-60 mph. Transmission fluid was at normal level, but dark.
Later it that night (I was not driving then as well so I don’t know specifics) but it wouldn’t go or barely move and it limped home. At that time it had code P0741, and pending codes P0746 pressure control solenoid “A” performance/stuck off and P0777 -pressure control solenoid “B” stuck on.

The next day the transmission fluid level was way high cold and looked almost black.
I took off the external solenoids and they worked fine hooked to battery power.
The vehicle will barely move/shift into gear unless turned off for a few min then will stop moving completely after a few seconds to minutes. It did produce a loud clunk noise going from drive to reverse when putting it in park.

Has 200000+ miles on it but engine is good.
Any thoughts for repair or overhaul?

I have never worked on clutch or automatic transmissions before so I’m not sure on diagnosing it. Had been working fine before.

It may be toast but I wonder about doing an overhaul or just replacing the transmission.

Thanks in advance

Old 09-04-2022, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Drain and refill transmission per specs.
not much to lose.

Before you do, check your coolant level. The transmission cooler piping is inside the bottom of the radiator but part of the radiator. There is of course a seal between the coolant section and the transmission fluid section. If this seal leaks, the fluids mix which is not good for your transmission and not good for your engine. Coolant in your tranny.....

If it is truly extra fluid that was not there the day before, it had to come from somewhere. Suppose it could also be oil but now I'm just guessing. Actually all this is guessing. I like to think it's educated.

Also check the color of your coolant. For the same reasons to see if it has mixed with trans fluid.