2004 vue intermittent electrical. NC/NS cab lights not lighting up

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 12:14 PM
Default 2004 vue intermittent electrical. NC/NS cab lights not lighting up

Good morning,
Sorry this is long but it has been such and intermittent problem I wanted to give details.
I have a 2004 vue. 3.5L , FWD automatic. 180K I am having intermittent electrical issues. This issue has been going on for about 6 months. Yellow CEL (check engine light) comes on P0685 is logged. I clear code. No issue till 3 months later same thing. I clear code. my wife notices when you turn key to off position the dome lights don't come on like usual. At this time there are no starting issues and no performance issues. I start car 25 times cannot duplicate. 1 month later wife tried to start car. turns key to on position and all cab lights are dim. try to crank engine nothing happens. I get multimeter and check Battery voltage at battery posts 12.4V. key off and key on then car starts. I cycle key 20time and got to duplicate once. try to start and no clicking at starter all lights on car are dim if they are on at all. with key still in on position I actuate the electric seat adjust forward and all power restored, car starts. I look in fuse box under hood and fuse box in pass side panel. I replace any relay I can find that has to do with engine and body power. I perform voltage drops on positive and negative cables found max voltage drop is .4v between alternator and positive battery post I remove battery cables at battery posts and clean. Trace Positive battery cables to alternator, starter, and fuse box under hood. remove and clean. Trace ground cable to driver side fender and starter bar at engine. remove and clean all ground connections. none of the connections have corrosion or appeared to be compromised in any way. remove and install all fuses in fuse box under hood. All is ok till last sunday. wife goes to the store. comes out tries to start car, no lights on in cab. I show up unprepared with only jumper cables. was able to get car started. she drove home I try to duplicate and cant.
I feel this is a ground issue Because when I actuated seat all the power came back. Like it needed the amp boost to push through.
Are there any other grounding points in the car other that the 2 I found and cleaned under the hood? if so where are they located?
Is the a main cab power relay hiding somewhere ?

Don't know if related but, accidently pushed lock button on key FOB 3 times before realizing it (wife's car) then i pushed unlock and only the driverside door unlocked. pushed unlock on key fob and door button but locks would not actuate to unlock doors or hatch. waited 2min then pushed unlock button and all locks unlocked. i can easily duplicate this issue. doesn't matter if you use door button or key fob. If you hit lock button 3-4 times then hit unlock the locks click but do not actuate. this is true with unlock or lock. wait 2min and all work perfect.

once again sorry so long but any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-18-2024, 07:35 PM

Are you sure your battery is not on it's way out? 12.4 volts is low.

Old 04-19-2024, 09:43 AM

No I'm not sure if battery is on way out, Battery is a 48 month battery that has been in service for 2yrs. After your question I removed battery, charged battery and using a carbon pile load tested to 300amps. Voltage under load is 10.5v.

Old 04-19-2024, 10:01 AM

You should hold that at above 500 amps if fully charged.

Operation CHARM: Car repair manuals for everyone.
Home >> Saturn Truck >> 2004 >> VUE AWD V6-3.5L VIN 4 >> Repair and Diagnosis >> Starting and Charging >> Battery >> Specifications

Battery: Specifications

pro multis · About Operation CHARM

Old 04-19-2024, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

10.5?

Eek.

Old 04-20-2024, 08:21 AM

Yeah, under load 10.5 is not a good reading. I'd take advantage of the pro rating and get a new battery if it were mine.

Old 04-25-2024, 07:34 AM

battery replaced

Locks still doing same thing. if lock button is pushed more that 3 times i have to wait 2min before lock with fully actuate. i can hear relays clicking but actuator will not move lock.

Does anyone know where the cab ground straps are located? beside the 2 going to fender and starter. when key on no dash lights come on. if i actuate the drivers electric seat adjustment all comes to life. is there a hidden main cab power relay or grounds hidden under dash or seats?

Old 04-25-2024, 09:55 AM

You can c lick in the breadcrumbs and get the entire manual for that vehicle.
Here's the grounds list.

Operation CHARM: Car repair manuals for everyone.
Home >> Saturn Truck >> 2004 >> VUE AWD V6-3.5L VIN 4 >> Repair and Diagnosis >> Diagrams >> Grounds >> Master Ground List

Master Ground List

G101 - G403:

pro multis · About Operation CHARM