2003 vue transmission ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 08:30 PM
Default 2003 vue transmission ?

Hello,
my problem started few months ago , one cold day transmission decided to go to limbo mode. I decided to change valve body. after this I lost speedometer .
Transmission is still shifting hard . Best driving if in reverse.
Also now I have service wrench light on on dashboard.
Please help.
2003 vue with v6 and 5 speed automatic

Old 04-26-2017, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

well at least it's not a CVT....

1) How many miles on it?
2) When was last tranny fluid change (not counting when you last worked on it if you did a change.
3) Have you had the car to Autozone or similar to get the codes read for free?
If so, please post them in the format Pxxxx where x's are numbers.
4) Any fluid leaks?
5) The service light will set for different reasons than the SES light, but we'll get to that. A more advanced diagnostic scanning tool is needed for this.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:19 PM

Hello,
more about my transmission problems.
car has 105000, fluid was never chaned before I decided to replace valve body.
after this I lost speedomiter and power steering. Replaced TCP , speedo and power steering are ok.
Now have code P0705 , hard shift to reverse and no gear change forward. Looks like car is on 5th gear all the time.
Also , when car is in any forward gear , there is winding ( like old quiet horn ) sound from transmission.
Any advice , loosing my mind with this POS.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Dondzio,

From your Feb Saturnfans post I was able to figure out that TCP ? above meant TCM.

Not clear to me why replacing a valve body would have anything to do with losing the speedo unless you wrecked the TCM while messing with the valve body. Many of the old Saturns had a dedicated Vehicle speed sensor. Dunno. I have no experience with that engine or tranny so I am not pointing fingers.

The only connection between all of this and power steering MIGHT be electrical if it is electric power steering. And same thing with the speedo. I will assume those were the driving factors in your decision to change the TCM even though it threw no error codes (as P codes anyway). I can see vehicle speed and tranny gear being factored into amount of elec power steering assist.

Go and have your charging system (batt and alternator) load tested at Autozone or similar for free. This should allow you to rule out any electrical nonsense caused by too low a V at the PCM and the sensors.

P0705 as can many codes be triggered by inappropriate V levels.

I it is a true P0705,

P0705 Transmission Range Sensor TRS Circuit Malfunction

then either it is a wiring/connector issue in the TRS circuit or, if internal to the trans, which it sounds like it is for your vehicle since you drained the fluid to do the valve body, there may be a blockage in the valve body TRS port, or the TRS is just bad.

Either way you will need to disassemble it again to figure it out, so might as well check the wiring to the pcm FIRST, along with the charging system. Then, if no other options, the switch sounds like it needs replacing.

Take the above advice at your own risk -- as I said I have no experience with this engine or tranny. Just offering basic troubleshooting advice. Trying to anyway.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:24 AM

Thank You ,
I tested battery and alternator before , have correct charging voltage.
I also did go twice thru wiring checking all connections with tester . I also measure resistance to valve body relays.
Im still thinking that rebuild body I put in may be actually bad. Im thinking about changing back to old one.
Speed sensor on right wheel is fine.
Is GM computer going to help to pin point my problem? If yes , I will drag my car to shop and pay for diagnose with it.
who has good manual how to test and adjust neutral safety switch on this transmission?

Old 06-07-2017, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Having the correct charging voltage and having the alternator putting out enough current to satisfy the needs of the car;s electronics are two separate things.

What prompted you to change the valve body? and the TCM?

I predict if you take it to a GM dealer, they will pull the P0705, condemn the switch, replace it if you let them and it will either solve or not solve your problem. Again, if something happened to the switch during valve body replacement, then the switch is likely the culprit. If you are going to drain the fluid to change the old valve body back in, you've got the switch right in front of you, so........

Old 06-07-2017, 04:00 PM
Smile

Originally , one day my transmission in the morning decided to work only in save mode , no gear shifting up or dawn. Had code pointing to transmission and valve body. This is why I decided to change it.
After this all other problems started. Looks like not to many people had good luck with accurate diagnostics on those transmissions. I think mainly because GM put to many computers in this car.
So im still fighting with it. Just don't wont to put more money if not necessary.
Im thinking to switch back valve body and see . Maybe from the beginning it was TCM ? I know my next car wont be GM or FORD

Old 06-07-2017, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

isn't that a Honda engine and Tranny w the 3.5??

Old 06-07-2017, 07:16 PM

no 2003 is 3.0 gm motor, 5 speed auto transmission is same till 2005 or 2006 , same trany was used in equinox and altima

Old 06-07-2017, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Your Vue has an engine I am familliar with but I have never seen your transmission. One thing I would try is putting the shifter in manual low and see if you have a low gear in failsafe mode. If your transmission has reverse and high gear in drive and a low gear of some sort in manual low I would check the wiring harness. Many automatics behave this way when they have no ignition power to the transmission, the tcm usually just provides grounds to make them shift.
Your speedo and lack of electric power steering assist plus the tranny also points to ignition switch issues. Mid 90s GM trucks had ignition switch failures that caused transmissions to act this way.

Last edited by 02 LW300; 06-07-2017 at 11:36 PM.

Quick Reply: 2003 vue transmission ?