07 vue batter keeps dieing

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 04:51 PM
Default 07 vue batter keeps dieing

Hello! I have an 2007 vue base with the v6 honda engine and trans.I have replaced the battery with NAPA batterys specified for this car,Replaced the 1st one with another Napa battery after 1 month.Then replaced it with a duralast battery.Using an amp gauge pluged in my lighter it was puting out 14.1 volts.After letting it sit for 2 days it read 11.6 volts and would not start the car.I disconnected the battery and charged it and the battery was at 12.2 volts.2 days latter it was the same.so her are some of the things i have gone thru.I replaced the 1st batter and killed the radio,the roof top antenna had beed broken off ny the po.I checked the fuses and all were good.I located the fuse that was for the radio subscription channels and removed it so i knew no power was getting lost.I chenged the battery cables and cleaned them.so now i am kinda lost.it was charging 14.1 volts,so am i still looking at an altinator? as long as i drive it every day it will start,but skip a day it won't start

Old 04-17-2023, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

You have the correct idea on fixing your car. You need to find the component that is drawing down the battery over a couple days.
I use a digital volt meter that also has an amp setting. You need to have a meter that can handle 10 amps. With nothing on, connect the meter on the 10 amp scale between one of the cables and a battery post. Do not open the car door while testing. Only remove one cable. Report back with the reading on the meter. If you suspect that the alternator has bad diodes, the reading will drop to almost nothing when you disconnect the wires from the alternator if it is the problem.

Old 04-18-2023, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator

Another way of putting it is that to measure current, the meter has to be part of the circuit, in SERIES with the cable (one multimeter lead to the cable, then the other multimeter lead to what The cable used to be attached to).

For comparison, when you measure voltage you are measuring across a part of the circuit between two points and the meter is not part of the circuit. You are connecting it in PARALLEL .

If the amps read absolutely zero, check the fuse. And make sure your multimeter leads are plugged into the correct terminals on the multimeter to measure current.

Old 04-18-2023, 09:41 AM

Andy and derf always provide excellent advice. Based on a similar situation with my daughter's PT Cruiser, I recommend you also have your starter load-tested when you get a chance. It is not the source of your parasitic drain, but 11.6 volts should be enough to start your engine, especially if the battery is new.

Old 10-06-2023, 02:08 PM

The alternator has a bad diode.I have installed a cut off switch between the alternator and battery which works ok as long as i remember to use the switch at the end of the day.i am thinking of installing a remote diode between the alt.and battery.the diode has an arrow on it...should it point to the battery or slternator?

Old 10-06-2023, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

How are you spec ing out said diode?

Also, are you controlling the existing cut off switch with a relay or are you simply inserting a switch directly into the current path from the alternator to the battery?

Please realize that if the switch itself is directly in the current path, it currently has 60 to 75 amps of current running through it when it is in the circuit. This is a very large current and is likely to overheat the switch unless it is rated to dissipate the power corresponding to the current times the voltage.

If the switch burns up partially but there is still current going into the switch, you can become the new current path of the alternator output if you touch the switch in the above situation and the switch is passing current internally from the alternator output up through the actual switch handle assuming it is metal.

Fix your alternator or replace it.
Unless you know what you're doing as far as current, voltage, and controlling them safely, you stand a serious chance of injuring yourself or possibly setting the car on fire.

If you don't know what an arrow means on a diode, you don't know what you're doing, so I'm not going to be the one to tell you what it means.

If you insist on not doing so, use a quick disconnect at the battery positive terminal that is rated for the voltage and current being used.

It seriously is not worth the risks associated with what you're trying to do to accomplish the same thing with no active involvement from you.