03 V6 Vue stalls while driving + security light flashes 4 times Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 12:42 PM

2003 Vue with a 2005 drive-train.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:53 AM

my Saturn is doing the same crap. You just replace the crank position sensor and it fixed the stalling. Mine goes off goin down highway doin 70.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dayvyd Sklba
my Saturn is doing the same crap. You just replace the crank position sensor and it fixed the stalling. Mine goes off goin down highway doin 70.

please read all I went through. It can be a complex problem. Mine ended up being a bad ECM (engine control module) even though I had already swapped in a ECM which I thought was good from another good running Vue with the same drivetrain. The way I verified that it was only the ECM was that once it ran correctly I changed all the other components which I had swapped out back to the original components. Not to say that a crank position sensor (CPS) will not cause the same problem. My Mercedes just displayed the same symptoms and the cause was a CPS which was flaky. Changed it out and no issues.

Good Luck and if you want more advice it is here, just read and ask.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

Classy response.

And I did not realize you had back swapped everything which is exactly the way to end your travels through stall-land with a bulletproof diagnosis and a smile on your face.
Hope you'll continue to stick around.

I think that was one of the most circuitous journeys on this forum that actually led to a solution

Because the OP didn't get frustrated and walk away or get their nuts in a bunch because they couldn't accept the advice of others, even though that's why they came here.....I learned more about Passlock then I ever wanted to know. Mods with huge post counts don't know everything. That's one of the things that keeps me here---I like to learn new stuff even if it applies to old stuff.

That is how what eventually is considered obscure knowledge lives on

Old 07-16-2017, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

And I thought I had a command of little known or cared about facts!
It is better to be a smart *** than a dumb ***. LOL

Old 07-18-2017, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

Yay verily.
I will never catch up to you Andy, but I look forward to having fun on the ride nonetheless.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:58 PM

So a crank position sensor is possible answer?

Old 07-18-2017, 05:24 PM

Where'd you get the sensor? If from your local Autozone, Advance or O'Reilly then odds are pretty good it's defective out of the box. You get what you pay for. Go to a GM friendly dealership and get one.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

D.S.,

It's difficult to tell from the wording of your original post whether you HAD the problem and fixed it by replacing the CKP OR you are HAVING the issue right now and want to know if replacing the CKP could possibly cure what ails your vehicle.

A flaky marginal CKP will often go into failure mode when hot. Kills spark and injector pulses. No fuel, no spark = no run.

There is a host of other things that could cause this behavior, including some things we don't even know about.

If the problem is a current one, start simple and check the CKP connector and wiring. If ok, I'd replace the CKP with one from GM or at worst NAPA.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:10 PM

Agreed. Always go with the relatively cheap and simple fix first. CPS's are a common issue in a lot of cars. The thing that really pushes me in that direction is if the computer does not set a trouble code. The CPS will not set a code but boy will it cause issues. Strangely it is one part which will erratically cause problems and the next minute work excellent.

Thank you DERF for the supportive words.

Good Luck with your troubleshooting.

Quick Reply: 03 V6 Vue stalls while driving + security light flashes 4 times Help please!