Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Vibrations when going up hill and turning to the left

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 02:07 AM
Default Vibrations when going up hill and turning to the left

Hey guys newbie here and as we'll as a saturn owner love the car pick it up fairly cheap to drive back and forth to work!! Here's the problem seems like when going up hill you feel a vibration coming from under the hood.. Also when turning to the left same thing but not all the time.. Was thinking bearings but after reading some threads now I'm thinking motor mounts just wandering if anybody has had the same problem thanks 2001 sl200 86000 2.2 thanks in advance

Old 07-26-2013, 06:50 AM

I would check the motor mounts. On the passenger side there are two. One up top that supports the engine and one down on the bottom near the A arm that keeps the engine from twisting from torque. Check those and see if they are torn, or worn out. The best way to get to the bottom one is to pull the passenger side wheel and remove the fender well. The fender well is made to be removed easily. 2 plastic pins and three tabs.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:55 AM
Banned

Since you don't mention any "clicking" or "grinding", I'd be like Dtruck, and check the motor mounts

Old 07-31-2013, 08:31 PM
Default Something new I discovered

Well fellas haven't got around to doing anything to the car yet due to my crazy shift work job but I have noticed that the car vibrates only in between 40 and 60 mph any suggestions with this new discovery ???

Old 07-31-2013, 08:38 PM

It is a long shot but it might be as simple as having the tires balanced.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:27 PM
Banned

A balanced set of tires can do wonders for the smoothness of the ride

Old 08-01-2013, 07:17 AM

If balancing the tires doesn't help and your motor and transmission mounts are good, it could be an inner cv joint problem. It's just quicker, easier and cheaper to replace the whole half-shaft, if that's the case.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:43 AM

Did the tire balancing and rotation still same thing. Now on to motor mounts I guess how's the best way to tell if there bad ???

Old 08-02-2013, 08:52 AM

Oh and forgot this one when it does vibrate you can see the RPM's fluctuate if that can be of any help with a diagnostic.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:59 AM
Banned

With the engine running, the hood open and the brakes applied, you stand next to the passenger side of the car and watch for EXCESSIVE shift (movement) of the engine when the transmission is placed in "drive" or "reverse". Also, examine the rubber portions of the top motor mount on the passenger side - looking for splits or tears in the rubber. If you decide to replace the mount, be sure to do both the top and bottom mount. I'm ignoring the two mounts on the transmission, simply because I've not seen them fail except from an accident

Quick Reply: Vibrations when going up hill and turning to the left